What's new

Electric Light Orchestra Zoom Tour Live...a must-own! (1 Viewer)

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I'll be perusing the aisles of BestBuy tomorrow looking for it and the new U2 dvd as well.
Its been a great month for music dvds!
The Who/ Bruce/ now U2 and ELO. Wow!
JohnG:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Man, I forgot to pick up that DVD the other day. Thanks for the reminder.
Just discovered...ha. Yeah, I remember when I just discovered them, I checked New World Record out of the library because I liked that "Don't Bring Me Down" song, the current hit at the time. Luckily I wasn't dissappointed like I could have been, fans understand why I would have been :) So I found one of my top 5 albums ever (personal fav I mean) AND still picked up Discovery as well.
Ron, PICK UP the ZOOM CD right away!!! It's just a Jeff Lynne solo album except that I think he is leaning more to the ELO sound with this album (for understandable reasons). Not the best ELO album, but VERY enjoyable. It's problem is that it doesn't flow quite as well as the better albums (New World, Out/Blue), but each song has a classic ELO feel to it.
As much as I love the other ELO concert DVD with it's crappy 70's switcher effects and zooming camera, I'm sure I'll love this newer, sharper concert twice as much.

Neil White

Supporting Actor
Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. This release almost passed me by. Years ago I used to listen to taped copies of ELO albums on my dad's music center. Used to blow my brains out with the headphones. I have most, if not all of their original albums on vinyl. The Out of the Blue double album is in see-thru blue vinyl and Eldorado is bright yellow.

Enough reminiscing.

A friend of my Dad's went to see the Out of the Blue concert at Wembley - the concert covered by the other ELO DVD. I was very excited about that DVD until I saw the quality of it. To be expected I guess given the era. Don't you just love the cheesy Discovery music videos!

Gotta go search for a deal on this new one.....

N

Jeff Leeds

Stunt Coordinator
Great find, I'll be looking for this one. I've been listening to ELO since well 1974 or 5, anyways I was in junior high school. I picked up one of their DVDs and it sounded so bad I returned the damn thing. Anyhow, DTS and a new recording, I cannot wait to find this one. I promised the wife no new DVDs until the new year (I'm laid off right now but getting the mini-parchute pay til the end of the year). I'll get another job honey, just let me get one more!

Chris Brunner

Second Unit
GREAT!!!
I eagerly preordered this DVD over a month ago. Yesterday, I received a VHS copy by mistake form Cdnow.:angry:
Now I have to see all your comments about how wonderful it is. :frowning:
Enjoy,
Chris

Just to be difficult ...

I actually quite liked ELO Part 2, and their sound. I saw them live a few years back and it was just about the best concert I've ever been too - they rocked! (plus I scored Bev's drumstick that he threw into the crowd at the end, and met them afterwards and got them to sign my ticket stub!) And their Live in Sydney album gets played on a regular basis at home. So they're not all bad.

Brian Bunn

Second Unit
Put me down under the "thanks, I didn't even know this DVD was out" category. Wow! All the great comments on this DVD has me wanting to run out to Best Buy right now and pick it up...except it is 2 AM and I don't think they are open yet! I was just in BB yesterday scanning through the music DVD section and didn't see the ELO ZOOM DVD. I wonder if they are even carrying the title at all.

But looking through the track list there is one extremely glaring omission: Sweet Talking Woman!! How could they not have included one of the greatest pure pop tunes in the history of rock music?! That single omission knocks my excitement for the DVD down a notch...one of my all-time favorite songs. Oh well...you can't have everything I guess.

I hear that the ZOOM tour was cut short because of lack of ticket sales, which is a great shame. As is the lackluster sale of the album, which is very good in my opinion. A talent such as Jeff Lynne deserves more of an audience than he is getting these days. Shameful what rules the music industry these days.

I'll be picking up 2 music DVD's today...ELO & U2. And I'll be rocking my apartment in about 12 hours!

John Tillman

Supporting Actor
I located the one copy my Best Buy had (under the 'E' section) and went home happy. After dinner I popped it in and before long my wife mosied in, then my kids, even the dog!

Everyone enjoyed it. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Can I join the "I missed this title, thanks for the review" crowd? I loved ELO growing up, and the positive reviews just cost me some more money. :) If anyone has trouble finding this in stores, Digital Eyes is selling the disc for $17.50 plus shipping.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, I was having trouble finding this in a B&M around here, even Lasers Edge had been out, but I finally picked it up at Borders (for $18, which I consider a strong B&M price especially for Borders).
I just went through the DTS and the extras.
The reviews are accurate. This is one of the best "concert" DVDs I own, in terms of performance/sound. The show is pretty straight forward standing and singing. The camera work is nice enough. It allows you to watch the show and is good about highlighting certain performances at key moments.
Audio-wise Jeff has really pulled it off. This is really close to the classic sound. Also hearing the Zoom stuff side by side just proves how much his new writing is in the same vien.
A few highlights - Mr. Blue Sky, Just for Love, Telephone Line, Shine a Little Love. Some excellent moments on those. The whole thing is just shy of being pre-recorded, that's how great they sound. Very impressive performance with darn near every great song.
I miss Rockaria and Last Train to London (and any Xanadu stuff), but the 23 songs we get are the perfect set list for Jeff to support a new album with while also doing a "comeback" if you will.
The 10 minute interview manages to cover lots of interesting stuff, including some of the background on a few of the new songs.
A wonderful ELO experience all-around. By it now unless you hate the band.
And that Rosie Vela is something to look at too.:eek:
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Scott Lund

Stunt Coordinator
Those two cellists aren't too difficult for me to look at either, especially that little brunette minx. The three babes do not hurt the show in the least :)

Steve Meskell

Second Unit
I love this DVD!!!! I saw the last ELO tour with Jeff I quess it was in 81-82 and I thought it sucked :frowning: But this DVD has changed my mind on any doubts of seeing them. Too bad his management booked them in big arenea's. They were going to play MSG but I think the tickets never went on sale. Hopefully they tour next year and the play Radio City Music Hall......that would be too much to ask for from Santa

Neil White

Supporting Actor
I agree. I got this a few weeks back and I've played in to death. Excellent audio. Great versions of the classics and the new stuff.

I'm even more pleased that my 3-year old seems to love ELO. He's been watching it with me and singing the songs!

Great DVD of a fabulous band.

N

Tony Lai

Stunt Coordinator
I just reviewed this DVD strangely enough. It is that good with one little caveat for absolute purists - not as good as the recent Eric Clapton dts number but still right up there.

I would note that some songs are missing.

Where the hell is 'sweet talkin' woman'???

T.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
Yeah, that Rosie Vela is not only a great singer but a model as well. A stunning woman.
ZOOM Live is a must own not only for the great music but for Rosie as well.:)
Link Removed
JohnG

Brian O

Second Unit
Rosie has got to be closing in on 50, but looks 30!

This new DVD is outstanding. I finally found it locally and watched it tonight. ELO on some of their songs, remind me so much of the Beatles from '66-'69. Jeff's vocals has a melodic way to it that McCartney's has. I really like their vocal arrangements and harmonies. You just dont hear that in today's bands anymore. Very tight performance on this DVD all the way around.

RickardL

Supporting Actor
Well, after all raves about this disc, I'll add mine comments...

Actually, I found it a bit disappointing.

The music and performances are somewhere between a studio recording

and a live concert.

The sound is nowhere as clean and filling as the studio

records and yet not really alive or full of energy as I

would expect from a live concert.

The band seems a bit bored and not really delivering 100%...

Mind you, allthough I have been listening to ELO since the

70s, I have not seen a real ELO concert so maybe this is

as good as it gets?

Just my personal .02.

Stu Rosen

Second Unit
The disc looks and sounds great, but I'm having trouble getting past the high-visibility of the backup singer and girlfriend of Jeff Lynne, Rosie Vela. Her placement is so contrary to the usual visibility of backup singers that it reminds me of the ubiquitous girlfriend of David St. Hubbins in "Spinal Tap" when the band was inaugurating the "free-jazz" version of Tap. Her front-and-center status is a goofy distraction which, when combined with the subsequent alarmingly low ticket sales for the US tour (resulting in its cancellation), gives this disc the unintentional smell of impending disaster.

It also brings back memories of attending a Madison Square Garden ELO concert in 1978. Lasers. White tuxedos on the string section. A big giant spaceship. Almost too much to forgive.

(The above notwithstanding, I am a fan, albeit a fan that can't say the name of the band without breaking into a vaguely embarrassed smile).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks