What's new

Electric hum from speakers (1 Viewer)

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
As the subject says, I'm getting an electric hum from my speakers from one of the inputs on my receiver. It happens when I switch to the input that has my Gamecube connected. For those that do not know, the Gamecube does not have any digital output for audio, only the standard red/white stereo cables.

This also poses another problem since I'm quite limited on cables to use. I just can't go out and buy new cables with lots of shielding since the GC uses a proprietary plug on the end that connects to the system.

The hum is there whether the GC is on or not, but it goes away when I unplug the cable. This problem does not occur when source component is connected with optical cables (as are all my other components).

So is this indeed a shielding issue? Is there anyway to get rid of it assuming I can't find anyone that produces GC cables with good shielding.?

Thanks!

Jason Co

Second Unit
Aaron,
I was getting a hum on my speakers from my new 2 ch amp. Turned out I was getting a ground loop from my cable outlet. I bought these from Rat Shack and it solved the problem.
Good Luck,
Jason

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Thanks for the information, Jason. I bet that will work. I'm going to see if I can pick one up after work tonight.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
There are companies that make AV wires for game systems. i have a Component set from Gameshark/Interact that has the PS2 AV connection. These are thick, shielded cables, on par with Acoustic Research Pro series. Not surprising, since AR and Gameshark are owned by the same company (Recoton). Most B&M stores will have aftermarket A/V cables. Try www.interact-acc.com for more info. There may be other companies that offer better solutions, but these were no more expensive then the Sony el cheapo products.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Well, the the ground loop isolator from Radio Shack worked perfectly. The hum is totally gone. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks