Electric fireplaces

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Tim L, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

My house does not have a fireplace and I annot afford to have one built at the time- but I like the look of having one in the house- I have been looking at some electric fireplaces- they look real nice and from what I gather you just simply plug them in- you could get fancy and build a hearth for it if you want to-my question is does anyone have any experience with these units-I would like to know the pros and cons of these and of course the safety issue comes into play- any input appreciated
    Tim

2. DougWright

DougWright Stunt Coordinator

We recently added one in our living room for looks as well.
    An added bonus is that it can also throw a lot of heat.

According to the vendor it costs less than 2 cents an hour to run just using the light and up to 8 cents an hour with the heat.
    We bought one from Dimplex so far it is working out great and is a nice touch around Christmas.
    There are plenty of options for looks and as far as safety goes I can not think they could be any safer but this is a layman's opinion.
    Here's what
    Bob Vila thinks.

3. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

Glad to hear its working out for you, thanks for the links- nice stuff indeed. I think its the way to go, no hassle and I don't have to cough up tens of thousands of dollars either.
    Tim

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Those look kind of cool. In my new house I had to opt out on the gas insert because it takes up half of the media niche, which I need for my TV.
    An electric would go nicely on the wall opposite the sofa I think.
    Any idea on price? are we looking ~500-1000 or 1000+?

5. Tim L

Tim L Second Unit

6. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    I second the endorsement of Dimplex units. The flames are the most realistic I've seen. We installed a 52-inch Dimplex unit in our coffee shop, and during construction, the inspecting Fire Marshal asked if the flames were real and wanted to inspect the gas hookup.

It puts out about 1500 watts of heat, which is about the same as a hair dryer, but it keeps the lounge area nice and comfy throughout the day when it's freezing outside.

Here's the unit I got:

Fireplace_001.jpg