What's new

Electric Dreams (1 Viewer)

Keith M.

Second Unit
Anyone remember this movie? Its a typical 80s movie, but had some great music and CG sequences...

Do you think it will ever be released on DVD?? What studio owns the rights to this movie?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
I have the soundtrack on vinyl :)
A guilty pleasure, but a pleasure nonetheless. I've been keeping my eyes open for news about it, but haven't heard a peep.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I have the soundtrack on CD! I think it's pretty hard to find now.

I really liked this one and would buy it on street date if it every came out (in it's OAR, of course).

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I have the soundtrack on vinyl
I can do better than that...I've got it on CD (import), cassette (2 copies), and vinyl.

This thing was so rare in the day that I collected it anyway I could.

E.D. is great film, and would be a priority if I chose which MGM DVDs should be on the upcoming release disc. However, I think there may be rights issues on this one like with the first Heavy Metal when the rights for many songs on the soundtrack were not purchased in perpetuity. this means the rights to certain songs have to be re-purchased for home video release or the the music changed i.e. Sixteen Candles, John Carpenter's The Thing (re-purchased for the Signature release), etc.

I've nearly warn out my old P&S LD (pre digital sound erggghhh) which is showing it's age with nice sparklies in the picture toward the end of side 1 .

Allan Petersen

Stunt Coordinator
Ahhh, the memories.
Love the soundtrack. Haven't seen the movie for ages.
I have a feeling it will fall apart when viewed almost 18 years later. If I recall correctly there was a sizeable amount of 80's cheese to it. (Sometimes that's a good thing, though :))
The title track by Giorgio Moroder was a minor hit at the time, wasn't it?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The title track by Giorgio Moroder was a minor hit at the time, wasn't it?
Yes, a minor one.

I enjoyed that film whenever it would show up on cable; it would be a quick purchase if MGM catalog dumped it for $9.99 street one of these months.

I remember freakin' out when the credits rolled and I saw that the computer was voiced by Bud Cort, and I couldn't recall where I knew the name from. Months later the answer came when I was watching the film edition of M*A*S*H and when the credits rolled I saw that Bud Cort had played Boone in that film, and the name had simply stuck with me!

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks; I forgot to mention that. I didn't discover that film, though, until after the time of the story I told above. :)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Um, guys...bad news about "Electric Dreams".
It was released by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1984.
Ted Turner bought MGM in 1986, selling off United Artists and several other parts of the company, but keeping all Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer titles up to 1986.
Time-Warner buys Turner Entertainment Co. in 1995.
Guess who's got the hold on "Electric Dreams"?
Yep, our good buddies at Warner Home Video. Be prepared to wait and wait and wait...
Thank you to Link Removed and said site's search engine for the information.
Sincerely,
John "Sucks...doesn't it?" Kilduff

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
I just hope WB doesn't release this in their usual "Oh this is a crappy movie, let's just release it in Pan & Scan for $9.99!" type releases.
I'll buy it in widescreen. I also love this movie. :)

Butch C

Second Unit
I saw this on cable last month and for those of you who have reservations...the movie definatly does not stand the test of time...the soundtrack is cool and you cannot beat Georgio Moroder

luke cav

Stunt Coordinator
Steve Baron did a commentary recently for Mike Bassett: England Manager on R2. So they should at least role out the special features on this. A few music videos, making of and of cause a commentary by Steve Barron, Lenny von Dohlen & Virginia Madsen.;)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I have the soundtrack on vinyl>The title track by Giorgio Moroder was a minor hit at the time, wasn't it?

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Yes, Culture Club did "Love is Love" (there was also a single and video for this) and a song called "The Dream" or something like that.

My vinyl is a US release, I'm pretty sure.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Odd film to reboot, as the original was a massive bomb.

The soundtrack album was more popular than the movie.

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
I don't quite understand why someone would claim to love a film and then greedily go for a sort of weird "reflected glory" to remake it. It doesn't make them a part of the charm and sweetness that give this cult status.

You can't really set out to make a cult classic, nor can you usually--yes, there are exceptions--improve on the source for offbeat comedies like this.

I'm happy with my blu import.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks