What's new

Electric Dreams? (1 Viewer)

Colton

Supporting Actor
Oldie, but goodie from the early 80s about a computer falling in love. (Music by Culture Club)

Still not available on DVD? :frowning:

- Colton

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've also been waiting for it. Thought that MGM would release it when Virginia Madsen became popular again last year, but still no release.

The video for the theme song (which is a mini movie, featuring the cast and a lot of clips from the film) is out there, on the "Best of the Human League" DVD and is frequently shown on VH1 Classics (both have slightly different versions, the DVD has dialogue). The MGM logo is all over the video too, it is like free advertising for the film and the studio. Hope it gets included on any DVD release.

The film hasn't even been shown on regular TV for a long time.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
This is one of my big Warner wants (They own this title through their acquisition of the Turner library). It's a stylish romantic comedy with great 80s music and killer visuals. I especially like the musical number which had a dance instrumental combined with flashing lights and clips from the bizarre MGM musical "Madam Satan".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

While we're talking about 80s romantic movies that Warner owns, how about "Crossing Delancey" and "Reckless"?

walter o

Supporting Actor
I'm waitig for Warner to release "adult" 80's comedies like SO FINE, JUJST TELL ME WHAT YOU WANT, SIMON, FIRST FAMILY, but I cant imagine them ever putting these out.

Suprised Warner didn't release this to piggyback on Madsen's Oscar nomination, perhaps all those songs needs music clearence?

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm also waiting for Electric Dreams. Loved it. I haven't seen it in 20 years. If it hits DVD, I wonder if it will hold up to my memory of it?

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

As well as by a few other artists - Jeff Lynne (whose song "Video" is a fave of mine); and a female whose name escapes me performing a terrific ditty called "Now You're Mine." Nice soundtrack - and I don't believe it was ever released on CD in this country...?

P.S. "Now You're Mine" was sung by Helen Terry, and yes the soundtrack is on domestic CD.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
FWIW, Helen Terry was an English singer who often worked with Culture Club -- she can be heard singing backup on "Church of the Poison Mind" among other songs.

If nothing else, it has fans in cyberspace: two of the more famous StrongBad emails at Homestar Runner involve the Luchadorian anti-hero using "Edga" to protect his beloved computer.

Chris Dugger

Supporting Actor
And now as all have pointed to the awesome soundtrack, you have answered your own question....

"Electric Dreams" has a music rights issue.

It will be interesting to see if this ever gets a release with the soundtrack intact.

Dugger

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

It couldn't be as bad as MGM's LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN from a couple years before. That had a lot of huge hits, songs still on the radio today (by U2, Journey, the Cars, Commodores, and more). Yet, it made it to DVD with the music intact.

The songs for ELECTRIC DREAMS weren't as well known. And if the soundtrack is on CD, that should be good news. VIRGIN's soundtrack never even made it to CD.

And since the video for the theme is on DVD, the rights shouldn't really be a problem.

walter o

Supporting Actor
I believe one tune is omited from LAST AMERICAN VIRGIN DVD. Not sure which one, but there was a discussion on another messege board about this.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I would love to get an official copy of this movie on DVD. But only if they keep the original soundtrack. I have the CD of the soundtrack and listen to it quite often.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I believe it was a Human League song (who coincidentally did the theme to DREAMS, at least the lead singer did as a solo). But, that was because they were unhappy with the content of the film, and it was requested in the 80's.

Although, I can't really believe that U2 would be happy today about having one of their best songs, "I Will Follow" being played over a rather gratuitous abortion scene in VIRGIN, but they let it remain.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
For the DVD of The Last American Virgin, Human League's "Love Action" was indeed replaced with another tune--Devo's "Whip It," which appears earlier in the film. Interestingly, the Human League song is still part of the original theatrical trailer included on the DVD.

As for 1984's Reckless, I second John Kilduff's request. He and I seem to be the only people here who regularly champion that film.

It could be part of an unofficial trilogy put out by WB--Rebel Without a Cause, Over the Edge (which had the working title "Rebel Without a Cause '78" at one point), and Reckless--an earnest updating of the classic misunderstood teen theme.

Aidan Quinn can mumble, pout, sport black leather, and ride a chopper with the best of them. In one of the great punk moments in all of American film, Quinn and Daryl Hannah, at her sexiest, pogo and grind to Romeo Void's classic "Nvr Say Nvr."

The rest of the soundtrack deftly utilizes INXS tunes off of their 1982 Shabooh Shoobah LP, Kim Wilde's "Kids in America," a Bob Seger tune, and an excellent, new wave-sounding original score from Thomas Newman, his first. Newman was part of a new wave band before he began scoring films and wrote an evocative original song ("Understanding Gravity") heard at the beginning of Reckless which is unavailable anywhere else.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I will third that request. Love that film. James Foley's first film (he would go on to do the great AT CLOSE RANGE and GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS as well as the out on DVD this week Madonna film WHO'S THAT GIRL).

One of memorable scenes, running through the school while "Kids In America" plays on the soundtrack.

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
Put me in for Electric Dreams. I actually saw this in the theater in its very short first run. I recall Siskel and Ebert giving it two thumbs up and was surprised it didn't do better. I even e-mailed Ebert's Answer Man asking if there were anything that could be done to get this released. (I don't really expect him to address it, but figured it was worth a shot.)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
I've been waiting years for Electric Dreams on DVD. Not counting the original unaltered Star Wars trilogy, Electric Dreams is my most-wanted unavailable DVD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks