Electric Boogaloo - The Wild Untold Story Of Cannon Films dvd

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
Can't believe this excellent documentary has not been released outside Australia -- it's about time you folks in the world beyond our golden shores get to see this great movie.

I've sat through it many times since it came out late 2014 and is as good as Mark Hartley's other documentaries "Not Quite Hollywood" and "Machete Maidens Unleashed"

It was released by Umbrella Entertainment down here, it is region free and in NTSC -- and with the exchange rate being US$1.00 = AU$1.32, I think its time you all did yourselves a favour and bought this movie, currently AU$24 plus postage (and no, I'm not one of the producers or have any connection with the movie -- just saw plenty of Cannon movies and love this celebration of Golan Globus and their legacy)

It is available on many online retailers, but try here at JB HiFi, the biggest movie retailer here in this country and see how you go:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/documentary/electric-boogaloo-the-wild-untold-story-of-cannon-films/630899/

Brian McP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
No Cannon MovieTales I'm afraid -- didn't have my favorite Cannon fodder "Young Warriors" with Ernest Borgnine and Richard Roundtree as cops, but it has plenty of the 'seminal' Cannon classics included.

Ejanss

Effects Supervisor
BANNED
Real Name
EricJ
For however long YouTube lets it stand, a somewhat under-the-table version did surface on the site--

I'd rather have it on nice, clear, rights-approved Blu with NTSC sound in this country, though. Amazing how much of this history I remember from theaters. :cool:

Brian McP said:
No Cannon MovieTales I'm afraid -- didn't have my favorite Cannon fodder "Young Warriors" with Ernest Borgnine and Richard Roundtree as cops, but it has plenty of the 'seminal' Cannon classics included.
No Cannon Movie Tales?? How can you tell the 80's Greek-tragic decline of Cannon's attempt to break out of their Chuck Norris image and become a mainstream A-studio without it?

That would be like leaving out Mack the Knife and Grace Quigley!

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I must second the recommendation of the original poster on this one. The film even briefly covers Cannon attempts for artistic credibility i.e. Godard, Cassavettes, etc collaborations.

Ejanss

Effects Supervisor
BANNED
Real Name
EricJ
An end caption says that Menachem Golan had been contacted to participate in the documentary but "announced that he'd be producing his own documentary, 'The Go-Go Boys', instead. It beat us to the theaters."

(After ending the documentary on Golan's 21st-Century Film Co. split with Globus, resulting in the dueling Lambada pictures racing each other to the theaters.)

So, there's two Cannon pictures documentaries? Any confirmation on the existence of the second one, aside from the IMDb listing?

(And apart from the fact that Hartley got Bo Derek to actually interview onscreen for the movie about her Cannon Pictures years, rather than just "Archive footage"...Wow, thirty years have been kind. :blink: )

Aunt Peg

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William Edwards
I can confirm that The Go-Go Boys does exist as it was shown at the Jewish Film Festival in Sydney during November 2014. However, I didn't get a chance to see it.

Tony J Case

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Oooh, a domestic release? Consider me SOLD! I've been thinking of getting the Aussie version for awhile now, but just quite haven't had the funds yet. But now, I'll hold off until Drafthouse's release!

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
July