What's new

Electonic Pest Controllers and Wiring (1 Viewer)

Alright, I'm about to purchase one of those electronic pest controllers which reportedly utilize wiring to produce a 25,000 HZ signal that "drives away the pests." I'm trying to figure out if it is putting a pulse interval within the wiring will that impact the my amp? I have it running through a surge protector but I'm still a little concerned.

Will I be able to hear the cycling in my speakers?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm looking at this pest repeller

Dave Milne

Supporting Actor
You're kidding, right?

I can understand the concept of repelling pests with ultrasound - although I haven't seen any scientific data that suggests that it really works. There are cheaper products that use Motorola's high-efficiency horn-loaded piezo tweeters that would probably produce much more ultrasound.

However, putting high-audio-frequncy signals onto the wiring as they suggest...

The Electromagnetic waves travel through the electricity within the wiring in your home
...is pure hogwash. Rodents and insects can't "hear" electricity in wiring any more than we can. Something (like a speaker) must translate the electrical signal to an acoustic signal before it can be heard. Does the 60Hz wiring in your house create a deafaning "hum" ? I didn't think so. If this concept worked, the data and fax information on your phone lines would have already done the job. Better yet, the high-bandwidth signal on TV cable or Satellite dish... :rolleyes

About the most one could expect to accomplish by coupling high frequency AC onto power lines is to create interference with sensitive electronic equipment. Your surge protector should have filtering to block this. And no, the "cycling" won't be heard in your speakers.

I'd recommend spending your money with some pest control experts (Orkin, Truly Nolen, etc) rather than that farcical product. Either that or buy some DVDs, turn out the lights, watch the movies and ignore the pests ;) :rolleyes

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
I was very skeptical about those ultrasonic pest repellers as well. I put one in my garage to get rid of a family of mice, and as far as I can tell, it helped quite a bit. I'll occasionally find new droppings at/near the garage door (where the mouse entered the garage), but nothing like before, where the droppings were everywhere, things got chewed up, mice would nest in my engine bay, etc. It would appear that the mice don't like to come very near the source of the sound.

It's possible that the introduction of the ultrasonic device and the exodus of the mouse were merely coincidental in time, and nothing more.

If you're interested, the product I bought looks rather like one of those plug-in air fresheners, and I found it for about $8 in the gardening section of The Home Depot. YMMV.

Thanks. I'm willing to try anything at this point to get rid of fleas. I'll just go to Home Depot and get a cheap one and see if it will do anything.

Josh~H

Stunt Coordinator
Bryant -

Here's what Home Depot has. You'll have to click on "View All", then "Electronic Controls", then "White Electronic Pest Repeller."

I could have sworn that mine was $8...but I know it wasn't $20 like that one. IIRC, they had a 2 pack for $17.

But anyhow, that's the item you're looking for. It claims to be effective against fleas. I wish you the best of luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks