What's new

Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind preview on Gamespot (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
My current dilemma is that I should only buy either Morrowind or Neverwinter Nights. Morrowind comes out first, both have editors to create your own adventures/modules/campaigns, NWN has the D&D license and classic fantasy genre classes/monsters. I really don't know which way to go. Daggerfall was impressive for its non-linearity but it was just too big - will Morrowind avoid this? NWN looks a lot like Dungeon Siege - can it get me more interested in its story?

Morrowind is entirely hand crafted. No random dungeons or quests like Daggerfall. Every location and npc in the game has a purpose. It's still huge, just not daggerfall huge. I've heard references to the game being a real life equivalent of 10 square miles. So assuming you just wanted to walk from one side to the other without stopping - Over 3 hours ! Not to mention all of the dungeons, castles, towns, etc. I doubt it is possible to visit and complete every single quest. It's just awesome that there is so many options, based on race, class, alignment and your in game choices. The 3d perspective greatly adds to the immersion.

NWN looks awesome as well. Having the D&D license means a lot to me. Because that's what I started playing with back in the day. It lends instant credibility. I'm sure it will surpass BG 1 and 2. Both excellent rpgs. I think the key feature is the online play.

May I ask why you feel you should only get one ? I suppose free time is the main factor.

I don't think NWN will be anything like Dungeon Seige- An incredibly overrated game IMO. Have you ever played Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 ? Think along those line except larger, better graphics, 3rd edition rules, and conforming game difficulty. Supposedly you can play through the single player version all by yourlelf if you'd like. The game tailors the enemies and obstacles to your party or lack there of. The fact that both of these game include quality editors ensures that they will be essentially endless. There will always be new adventures to download. It's a great time to be an rpg gamer.

edit : If you can really only get one game, I'd probably go with NWN.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
At least at EBGames (which isn't the end-all-be-all of release dates), Neverwinter Nights has been delayed until June 18. That may help your decision, James. Hopefully it means you can get both. :)
-Dave

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Will Morrowind support 3D audio on the PC? I have an nForce motherboard. I'm hoping that, with an xbox version also coming out, that Morrowind will also support the nForce/DirectSound 3D and not some overdone echo engine like EAX! I HATE EAX.

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
AHHHHH!

My local EB is getting this tomorrow (thurs) (like most other places) and I cant wait to get out of class tomorrow, pick up my copy, and lock myself in my room. I dont even know if I'll make it to mug night tomorrow night!

If you head over the the morrowind.com forums some people that preordered from the manufacturer have thier copy. Also, theres a link to the "artifact" that EB gave away with preorders (anyone can download it), which turns out to be a whole quest.

JQ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks