Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind preview on Gamespot

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Falasco, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

For those Xbox fans who have been waiting for a decent RPG, Gamespot has a nice preview of the upcoming Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind for the Xbox
    here.
    I never played the PC version or its predecessor Daggerfall, but I do like playing RPGs, and this one sounds like a good one. I would categorize Gamespot's impressions as "cautiously optimistic"...apparently the PC version had a bit of a checkered past, and was only playable after a series of bug fixes. So far it looks like the Xbox version is in good shape, but there is still a lot of fine-tuning to go.
    Some choice quotes from the preview:

2. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I watched the video preview for the PC version and it looks incredible. I'm a big RPG fan but, like you, I've never played the previous Elder Scrolls games. Barring an Ultima-esque meltdown, I'll definitely pick this one up.

3. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris
    Yeah, same here. This is a definite no-brainer for me. I've been lookin' forward to it for some time now.

I only hope that whatever the framerate problems are, they are ironed out by release time. I can handle graphics that aren't cutting edge no problem, but those stuttery frame rates literally drive me up a wall.

4. Todd Terwilliger

And when battles are realtime, any frame-rate problems become infinitely more annoying...

5. Sean Oneil

Sean Oneil Supporting Actor

I can't help but worry that the Xbox version will have chop-chop stutter frame syndrome like 'Summoner' on the PS2.

6. Derrik Draven

Derrik Draven Supporting Actor

Chris

7. Todd Terwilliger

Definitely. Though this is one of the games driving me towards getting a GeForce4 Ti. Those water effects are incredible.
    EDIT: Check out Gamespot's preview of the Morrowind Construction Set. It looks awesome from the preview. If this ships with the game as expected, Morrowind has the potential to be unbelievable.

8. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Rescuing another thread from the dead...

If you get a chance, check out this weekend's Extended Play episode on TechTV, as they have a preview. I just watched it, and the game looks pretty darn good.

-Dan

9. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Dan B,

How did the framerate look? Im getting the X-box and the PC versions (PC for the high rez and the soundtrack, X-box 5.1 sound, 16:9 and 480p). I'm curious as to how well the box is handling the graphics?

10. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

From what I can remember, the Xbox version was pretty smooth but the PC version was pretty choppy. (they had an Alienware PC & said you will need a powerful PC to run it smoothly) The PC version had much better image quality though.

-Dan

11. Romier S

Romier S Producer

12. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

Oh yeah, there's one more thing. Best. Water. Ever. [​IMG]
    Plus, any game with over 3000 characters & 200 hours of gameplay sounds good to me.
    -Dan

13. Romier S

Romier S Producer

14. Dan Brecher

Dan Brecher Producer

Dan want this. Dan want this NOW... Need X-Box first... will sort that situation in the coming weeks. [​IMG]
    Dan

15. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Saw the Extended Play preview last night. The extra resolution on the PC version looks great but the Xbox version looks very fine as well, which is relieving since there's been some confusion on exactly how close the two versions are. I can hardly wait for this game [​IMG]

16. Dan B

Dan B Screenwriter

I re-watched this episode & regarding the framerate, they are both about the same...fairly choppy. That's not uncommon for a preview build, of course. The Resident Evil remake on the Cube was also choppy, FWIW.
    To keep on with the Extended Play talk...Eternal Darkness is looking super! Urge...to buy...Gamecube...rising. It's a disease, Dan Brecher. A disease! [​IMG]
    -Dan

17. Michael Geiger

I'm eagerly awaiting this game as well. I played the prequal, Daggerfall on my shiny new Pentium 150 and loved it. Daggerfall did have a lot of bugs but the gameplay was fantastic. Totally open ended. I made a living as a thief, doing odd jobs for the asassin's guild and burglarizing shops and homes and night. You can play good or evil, the game isn't stacked against you one way or the other.

I think morrowind will be everything daggerfall was and more. I'm getting the upgrade bug as well. Up until now, I really haven't felt a need to change from my geforce 256 DDR

But those gf 4 ti4200 are looking mighty tempting. I NEED the vertex shaded water!

I browsed through the strategy guide today, the game looks HUGE. I'll be posting my impressions next week.

From what I've heard the xbox and pc games are identical, just better graphics on pc, and you get the editor to create mods or whatnot.

18. Jason Quillen

Jason Quillen Supporting Actor

I'm with you guys, I cant wait another min for this one

Actually, I'm going to the mall tomorrow just to get the strategy guide - I wanna see some stuff. I NEVER buy the strategy guide, this will be the first one I ever bought. But I'll hide it from myself when I get the game, and give myself time to discover everything on my own, but I figure the guide is almost a necessity if you want to see everything there is to see and do everything there is to do.

I'm totally pumped for Morrowind...May 1st cant get here soon enough...

JQ

19. Michael Geiger

Yeah, unfortunately the guide is about 96% walk throughs. Not much strategy or tips. The local EB is telling me Thursday.

20. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

I believe on EP they said the games has enough text to fill 6 novels! And who says people don't read anymore.