What's new

Elder Scrolls III Morrowind....First Impressions...WOW! (1 Viewer)

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I'm impressed Romier:
You were actually ABLE to log onto Bethesda's main site?!!? It's been soooooooo bogged down since release of the game that the site is useless.
At least I haven't been able to get on it.
With all the info you've given, you're making it hard to wait for the Xbox release... :frowning:

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
I applied that No-CD protection crack tonight and my results are very simply stupendous. This crack should be patch because you will get a good boost in performance and the game will just run a good bit smoother for you. Using the TDT command in the console to see framerate before the patch I was getting between 15-25 FPS in town (In this game that is quite acceptable, you need to play the game to understand. This is not a fast paced FPS). Indoors I was seeing between 45-60. I also had those slight pauses I mentioned.

After the application of the NoCD crack My FPS went up to 20 to at times 35 in town!! and almost 70 indoors. All the pauses are also a thing of the past. (The game only pauses slightly to load new areas now). Also load time have been decreased significantly. This crack is HIGHLY recommended!

PS Please remember to back up your original Morrowind EXE file.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Ola comarades!
HUGELY important question! Namely: Can you buy horses/mounts in this game, like in daggerfall?
If so... then fear the coolness, my friends.:D
I'll fess up why when one of ya states yea or nay.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I can't say that this is 1st hand experience but, the FAQS section at one of the major Morrowind sites explicitly states that horse riding is NOT part of this game.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Pretty sure that its not in the game too:frowning:. Sorry.
On a lighter note..heres some screenies I took of my character in game. So far he is a level 3 Dunmer (Dark Elf) Infiltrator (Custom Class) named Trygor Zreth:
Dunmer1
Dunmer2
Dunmer3
EDIT: Links are now JPG'S. There you are Chris. A brutha now has the bandwidth back:D.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
I didn't like the game. I uninstalled it as soon as I got out of the first town because I thought it sucked the big one.

Issues:

The graphics were too sharp looking for my tastes, YMMV.

The combat system bothered me instantly. As I couldn't tell if I was hitting those creatures on the ground or not. Im sure it improves, but if I don't have fun in a game early, I will give up on it.

I just didn't like the flavor of the game. This is a TRUE RPG, I've been spoiled by click and slash games like Diablo in that I want immediate gratification. If you want a game that takes discipline to play and advance your character, this appears to be it.

The graphics weren't that great, they are about even with the current batch of FPS.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
but bitmaps?! Spare a brother some bandwidth!
Sorry Chris!:frowning: I resized and lightened the screenies up in photoshop and didnt even notice I uploaded them in .bmp format (believe it or not that is how the screenshots are saved in Morrowind).
Soon as I get home I'll convert them to jpegs, reupload them and adjust the links.

Benjamin_L

Stunt Coordinator
Curses!
Well, if any of you still have a copy of daggerfall lying around, try this out:
Step 1) Get horse. My preferred method is to buy a cart, which costs several k less than a stand-alone horse, and the game assumes you have a horse once there's a cart in yer possession.
Step 2) Mount horse and cast levitate.
Step 3) Fly high above the city streets and from rooftop to rooftop atop your demonic steed. Brandish daedric greatsword and cackle maniacally when neccessary.
Nothing beat that rush, back in the day.:D
Romier- Trygor's looking pretty sweet there. A bit too heroin-chic for my blood, though.
I don't suppose articles of clothing have multiple states in Morrowind? Goodness knows our freedom to preen and accessorize is so lacking in games nowadays!:cool:

James T

Screenwriter
I was a huge fan of Arena with all those riddles and I loved Daggerfall. I even played Daggerfall falling short of the requirements.

When I started Morrowind, I just found it confusing walking around...

but then I adjusted and am starting to love this game!

It's a good thing that the patch was put up, cause I thought my PC needed more RAM (from 256) with all that stopping happening randomly.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Got another screenie I took of my now level 4 Dunmer. (I haven't even been to the second town yet either!! There is just too much to do in the starting area alone.) Here he is ready to kill him a Cliff Racer:
Trygor Assasin

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Take the Morronwind_NOCD.exe file and place it in your main Morrowind program folder. You don't need to rename or remove the old EXE. Once its in there make sure you have the CD in and double click the NOCD .exe file and the game should automatically launch. You should notice it right away since the game usually takes about 1-2 minutes to start. When you click on the new file it should lauch right away.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
For some reason this isn't working for me. I dragged the Morrowind folder out onto my desktop and placed the NOCD file into it. I then double clicked on the NOCD file and it just brings up a "Winace archiver v2.11" window. There is a NOCD file listed in this window but when I double click on it I get a message that says "a required .DLL file BINKW32.DLL was not found".

Jacob_St

Second Unit
I agree. I think I'm going to just send this thing back to Amazon. The designers obviously just tacked this macrovision thing on without looking into how it would affect the game's performance. Maybe they'll develop some patches for it in the next few months then I can go out and repurchase it.

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Let's be clear here, Jacob, chances are the *designers* didn't tack it on. Safedisk etc are usually put on games at the insistence of the publisher, not the developer.

Jacob_St

Second Unit
Ok then the publisher added it on. Either way whoever made the decision, negelected to consider game performance when implementing it.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
For some reason this isn't working for me. I dragged the Morrowind folder out onto my desktop and placed the NOCD file into it. I then double clicked on the NOCD file and it just brings up a "Winace archiver v2.11" window. There is a NOCD file listed in this window but when I double click on it I get a message that says "a required .DLL file BINKW32.DLL was not found".
Did you extract the NOCD file out of the .ace file?

1. The first thing you do is donwload the Morrowind_NOCD.ace file.

2. Next download Winace. Once you have Winace installed open Winace.

3. From inside Winace open the Morrowind_NOCD.ace file. There will be three files listed.

4. One of those files will be the Morrowind_NOCD.exe. You want to highlight that file and hit extract in Winace.(Extract it to whatever folder you would like.). (NOTE: Once that file is extracted Winace will automatically place the NOCD.exe file into its own Morrowind folder. You need to copy the file inside this folder not the folder itself) 5. Once that file is extracted you want to copy that Morrowind_NOCD.exe file into the program folder for Morrowind (The default installation path is C:/Program Files/BethesdaSoftworks/Morrowind)

6. Once you have copied that file into the main Morrowind folder (It should be in same location as the normal Morrowind.exe file.) just double click it and the game will start. Hope that gets things going for you.

Its actually quite simple since you dont have to rename or move much around. The error your getting seems to be because the cracked exe file isnt in the right location.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks