What's new

Elac Debut 2.0 or Uni-Fi 2.0 bookshelf? (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So do either of you use it for distance (delays) and trims? I realize the AVR is settings those, not Audyssey, but do you use Audyssey to determine those settings initially and then turn it off? Or leave it on and limit the correction to 200-300Hz and below?
I use a high tech device referred to as a tape measure ;) for distance (delay), and an SPL meter using the internal tone generator for trims. REW allows you to do much more sophisticated analysis of the sub, then you use an external device (MiniDSP) to apply correction. So I don't use Audysssey at all. You can also use REW to analyze the room as well as each individual channel. It's infinitely more complicated, and more expensive than Audyssey, but allows much better control.

Last edited:

Mike Up

Second Unit
So do either of you use it for distance (delays) and trims? I realize the AVR is settings those, not Audyssey, but do you use Audyssey to determine those settings initially and then turn it off? Or leave it on and limit the correction to 200-300Hz and below?
I don't let Audyssey do anything. I set my distances myself with a tape measure and use a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter to set speaker levels. Audyssey sounds terrible to me, very un-natural, harsh, bright, and compressed. My brother-in-law found the exact same things when he tried to use it. We both bypass it but had to do a receiver reset after using it, because then it holds on to the settings forever, until you do a reset.

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
I use a high tech device referred to as a tape measure ;) for distance (delay), and an SPL meter using the internal tone generator for trims. REW allows you to do much more sophisticated analysis of the sub, then you use an external device (MiniDSP) to apply correction. So Audysssey isn't used at all. You can also use REW to analyze the room as well as each individual channel. It's infinitely more complicated, and more expensive than Audyssey, but allows much better control.
I don't let Audyssey do anything. I set my distances myself with a tape measure and use a Radio Shack Sound Level Meter to set speaker levels. Audyssey sounds terrible to me, very un-natural, harsh, bright, and compressed. My brother-in-law found the exact same things when he tried to use it. We both bypass it but had to do a receiver reset after using it, because then it holds on to the settings forever, until you do a reset.
Got it. I'm not there yet. I have a umik-1 but very early in the learning curve. I'm using Audyssey to set delays and trims and limiting correction to ~300Hz for bass management.

John which mini-dsp device are you using to apply correction?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
John which mini-dsp device are you using to apply correction?
I'm early in the learning process. I haven't even started doing any real analysis, but I expect I'll be using THIS ONE. Ultimately I plan to use them in my main system as well as the living room.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
I use a high tech device referred to as a tape measure ;) for distance (delay), and an SPL meter using the internal tone generator for trims. REW allows you to do much more sophisticated analysis of the sub, then you use an external device (MiniDSP) to apply correction. So Audysssey isn't used at all. You can also use REW to analyze the room as well as each individual channel. It's infinitely more complicated, and more expensive than Audyssey, but allows much better control.
Not entire true, unless using a Dirac model typically you do both. The miniDSP correction is done prior to the audyssey run, focused on the bass frequencies

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Not entire true, unless using a Dirac model typically you do both. The miniDSP correction is done prior to the audyssey run, focused on the bass frequencies
I'm not saying anyone else has to do it this way. I'm just saying this is what I do. However, I did edit my original post (italic and underlined the part I changed) to make that more clear.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Honestly, I never liked the idea of automagick room correction anyway, and was certainly never a believer in Audyssey.

I will certainly try ARC via my Anthem AVM-60 prepro when I finally have the new HT setup ready for that, and I might also try REW and miniDSP as well. Will have to see... but seems like Audyssey is comparable to taking snapshots in full auto mode on some random camera (of varying quality) while ARC and Dirac might be like shooting in one of the semi-auto modes on a capable DSLR w/ some bits of post-processing perhaps (or maybe not). And maybe going full on w/ REW, miniDSP, room treatments, etc might be closer to shooting full manual (at least some of the times) w/ all the post-processing (from RAW... naturally)...

_Man_

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
So @marter, how are you loving those UniFi 2.0 speakers now?

I'm starting to consider them for a smaller room ~13x16ft (give or take) though not sure just yet if I can even run a sound system loud enough in this room to be worthwhile w/out significantly disturbing neighbors... I'll probably wait for the next big sale (whenever that is) before buying and probably just use good headphones in this room in the meantime...

Cheers!

_Man_

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
So @marter, how are you loving those UniFi 2.0 speakers now?

I'm starting to consider them for a smaller room ~13x16ft (give or take) though not sure just yet if I can even run a sound system loud enough in this room to be worthwhile w/out significantly disturbing neighbors... I'll probably wait for the next big sale (whenever that is) before buying and probably just use good headphones in this room in the meantime...

Cheers!

_Man_
Extremely happy with the Uni-Fi 2.0s, along with the Elac DB52 surrounds. Just a much larger, richer presence and sound quality than the NHT SuperZeros. My room is 12' x 19' so similar volume. I'll usually go up to -5dB on movies and it's all I need.

Played around with Atmos using 4 NHTs on the ceiling angled toward me but really didn't hear enough benefit so abandoned that plan and stayed with 5.1. Happy camper.

Mike Up

Second Unit
I use a 7.1 setup in my living room and offers a lot more 5.1. Even when the 2 back surrounds are using DPL IIx to decode them, they offer a lot more surround information over 5.1. Give it a try, you may like that. My AVR-2312ci is the predecessor to your AVR-X3600H.
DenonCP48.png

marter

Agent
Real Name
Michael
If in-ceiling or on-ceiling speaker installation is possible, you could do a 5.1.2 Atmos setup, but that's about the maximum that makes sense for the room.
I set up a 5.1.4 layout with the SuperZeros and omni-mounts pointing them at my MLP. Not the most ascetic look but I wanted to listen to as many examples as I could before I concealed the wires. Just wasn't worth it. Maybe I didn't have them optimized or just the wrong speakers but the sizzle just wasn't there. So I kind of gave up on Atmos.

I could go with in-ceiling speakers and considered the RSL C34E, but I have the NHTs and thought that would give me a good enough feel for Atmos. I can't remember if you have an Atmos setup, but you've got a lot of room to work with IIRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucrin
Recent bookmarks