1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Elac Atmos Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Doug Smith, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Some people are of the mistaken notion that the internet is meant for pictures of cats...

2. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    Their 'mom' writes books about dogs, they probably have experience posing for pictures.

3. Bob Bielski

Bob Bielski Second Unit

Robert Bielski
    Do the dogs stay in the room when you watch a movie? Or do they not like the sound, and get scared?
    Let us know how you like the setup after some listening time please.
    And congrats, and enjoy!!

4. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Circumstances haven't allowed me a LOT of opportunity to fire up Atmos soundtracks. But in those few pieces that I've tried, my kneejerk reaction is that I'm not getting a lot of separation between my fronts and heights. And by that I mean I'm not especially getting the sensation of overhead directionality from any of what I've listened-to, so far. But, on the other hand, the room feels fuller of sound, but I cannot be sure if that has anything to do with the Elacs or because of the new receiver.

That's my honest opinion after a few brief listening sessions.

As long as things aren't TOO loud, they stick around. Heavy bass thumping inevitably gets their attention. Pete, the younger pup (the white-ish one) will actually watch the screen when action is taking place--ESPECIALLY if it involves a dog or some other animal. Any other dog I've ever had would never divert his gaze to the screen. But Pete will actually watch for extended periods of time. And if a movie soundtrack has a dog barking way off in the distance, his ears will also perk right up. Ernie (the older, darker one) doesn't hear too well, I think. He's 11+ years old. Pete, however, is just 2. :D

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Mike,

Just remember that not all Atmos soundtracks are created equal. Some are superior with more Atmos activity.

6. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

That's why I am reserving judgment on the Elacs. There's a lot of variables...and that's one of the most important! I gotta find something that, for sure, is designed to give me overhead fx.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It may be a bit difficult with your setup to get too much separation since your fronts are so high to start with. Most all of your sound, Atmos or not, is coming from a high angle.

8. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Understood. A number of people earlier in this thread advised me that might be a strong possibility based on the pix of my setup. I now "fear" it may be true (although everything still sounds great). But I need to find a particular soundtrack (if anyone might be able to recommend one?) which they could point to a particular passage and say that I should really be able to hear xyz overhead to hopefully be able to discern things for certain.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    In Ron's first post in his thread about pursuing Atmos, he suggests the first John Wick movie, if you have that:

10. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    Give Mad Max: Fury Road a try too.

11. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Even though I've only got the Blu-ray of both those films, both Blus have the Atmos track so hopefully I can give them both a try tomorrow.

Thanks, fellas.

12. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    The benefit of Fury Road is the surround goes full bore right from the opening scene. So, you get a pretty good impression right from the beginning.

13. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

What I'm going to need, though, is for it to be obvious that particular sounds are supposed to be coming from overhead.

I'm sure that Fury Road is going to sound kickass. In fact, every Atmos track I've tried has sounded really good. What I'm specifically unsure of is if the placing of Elacs on top of my elevated RTi4s is going to be effective in providing me the proper "height" fx.