What's new

Elac Atmos Speakers (3 Viewers)

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
At times, you have to compromise your HT desires/needs because of your significant other which is probably the case with Mike.
Fully understand. Was just looking for clarity as to whether he was meaning any sort of "high mounted speaker" or if he was referring specifically to in/on ceiling mount speakers. If any type of height speaker is out of the option, the ELACs (and comparable competitor's models) will be the only reasonable option.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OK guys, here we go.

My living room is 12' by 15'. Two of those walls have large, cased archways (connecting with the front hall and the dining room). A third wall contains three side-by-side full windows. The ceilings are 9".

In this "fish eye" shot of the room, you are looming across the width of the room into the front hall. Front/Center speakers are visible.

full

full

full

This "fish eye" shot is taken from the front hall towards the opposite wall. The two Polk RTi6s (surrounds) are visible.

full

full

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s a tough room. You might try aiming the front speakers forward, instead of angling them down, and putting the reflecting speakers on top of them. If the brackets can hold the weight.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That’s a tough room. You might try aiming the front speakers forward, instead of angling them down, and putting the reflecting speakers on top of them. If the brackets can hold the weight.

That's what I was thinking I'd do. Angle the Polks down less and secure the Elacs to the Polks and bracket. That achieves (I hope) succeeding with the WAF. I am hoping the Elacs would be very unobtrusive. The cost and installation of new speakers (plus uninstallation of the Polks) is something I can't be dealing with right now.

The Elacs ($189/pair) would already be stretching my budget for this project. I already spent more than I was planning on the receiver! :D

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yeah, I tend to agree with Wayne. I’m just trying to come up with an answer where everyone doesn’t feel the need to explain WAF to me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Believe me, I would never think I'm explaining ANYTHING to you. You are the one who is always kindly taking the time to explain things for me.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That's what I was thinking I'd do. Angle the Polks down less and secure the Elacs to the Polks and bracket. That achieves (I hope) succeeding with the WAF. I am hoping they would be very unobtrusive. The cost and installation of new speakers (plus uninstallation of the Polks) is something I can't be dealing with right now.

The Elacs ($189/pair) would already be stretching my budget for this project. I already spent more than I was planning on the receiver! :D
You shouldn’t have to secure them to the speakers. Just set them on top. I put a silicone trivet in between them, just so the ELACs wouldn’t be able to slide.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Honestly, I’m doubting there’s any solution that will meet WAF requirements and will produce enough of a performance benefit to be worth the money. Is there any way to do painted in-ceiling speakers?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
That's what I was thinking I'd do. Angle the Polks down less and secure the Elacs to the Polks and bracket. That achieves (I hope) succeeding with the WAF. I am hoping the Elacs would be very unobtrusive. The cost and installation of new speakers (plus uninstallation of the Polks) is something I can't be dealing with right now.

I have the same concerns as the others in regard to the closeness to the ceiling for the Elacs. Anyhow, I would definitely level those Polks and just sit the Elacs on top of them.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
That’s a tough room.

It's a tough room for a bunch of reasons. There is really only the one spot for the TV (which is right next to the thermostat!). I upgraded the thermostat to a Nest last year. THAT has been a god-send since it allows me to use a remote sensor for the thermostat (which is now conveniently located near our seating area and NOT just a few inches away from that heat-producing plasma display). The display is a 55" Panasonic plasma. When it dies (and I'm not really wishing it a demise...but I purchased it in 2012) I would love to consider a 65" 4k set but it will really max out that space and I'm already getting some kidding pushback on the WAF (such as when I am eyeballing bigger sets during trips to Target/Wal-Mart, etc.).

Because of those archways, speaker wires are all run down into the basement. The traffic patterns demand it.

But I love the space and the house itself and am more than happy with the various additions I've made over the years (as imperfect (and budget conscious) as most of them are. I feel blessed to have as much as I do. The hobby is a lot of fun for me.

Is there any way to do painted in-ceiling speakers?

'Fraid not. This is a 110-year-old+ house with plaster/lathe construction. It wouldn't be worth the effort for me to undertake such a project. And significant effort it would be.

I might consider externally mounting speakers to the ceiling (like I mounted the Polks to the wall) but that would be about as far as I would go. And it would have to wait for budgeting. That's why easy-to-add and low-profile Elacs seem to be the path of least resistance for me to try and get some kind of benefit from my Atmos discs and new Atmos receiver.

By the way, I'm not seeing much competition out there for the Elacs outside of some very expensive and big Klipsch and Def Tech modules. But they also seem geared towards pairing with existing Klipsch and Def Tech speakers. Does anyone know if there's anything else I should also be considering?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
By the way, I'm not seeing much competition out there for the Elacs outside of some very expensive and big Klipsch and Def Tech modules. But they also seem geared towards pairing with existing Klipsch and Def Tech speakers. Does anyone know if there's anything else I should also be considering?
Yeah, I'd be interested, too. I've been Atmos-enabled for a while but have not yet purchased any Atmos speakers. I was looking at the Klipsch set, but have not yet pulled the trigger. I would also be looking for some alternative to actual ceiling-installed speakers.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd be interested, too. I've been Atmos-enabled for a while but have not yet purchased any Atmos speakers. I was looking at the Klipsch set, but have not yet pulled the trigger. I would also be looking for some alternative to actual ceiling-installed speakers.
Do you have the same limitations as Mike, meaning you can't mount anything relatively high up on a wall? Or are you only restricted from having in-ceiling speakers (meaning mounted on your actual ceiling, firing downward)? Because if you have to do a ceiling bounce Atmos speaker, it's going to be hard to beat the ELACs for bang-for-buck.

But as I've said, the ceiling bounce effect, at least in my house, is much less effective than having front-height mounted smaller speakers (still mounted on the front wall, not the ceiling, but higher up so that the top of the speaker is like 2" from touching the ceiling) aimed over the head of the listening area, is a much more directionally effective presentation of Atmos height effects.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Do you have the same limitations as Mike, meaning you can't mount anything relatively high up on a wall? Or are you only restricted from having in-ceiling speakers (meaning mounted on your actual ceiling, firing downward)? Because if you have to do a ceiling bounce Atmos speaker, it's going to be hard to beat the ELACs for bang-for-buck.

But as I've said, the ceiling bounce effect, at least in my house, is much less effective than having front-height mounted smaller speakers (still mounted on the front wall, not the ceiling, but higher up so that the top of the speaker is like 2" from touching the ceiling) aimed over the head of the listening area, is a much more directionally effective presentation of Atmos height effects.
I could probably do mounts high on the front wall, but wouldn't really want to do any ceiling mounts. This is a rough sketch of my HT room, if it's relevant. Rear channels are mounted on the wall, above furniture.
upload_2019-10-8_12-3-56.png

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I believe Pioneer has one, but I think that's it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I own 3 pairs of Klipsch RP-140SA that I've been extremely happy with in my two Atmos HTs. I'm probably going to add another pair before the year is out so that my home office HT has a 5.1.4 setup.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
I don't have anything new to add @Mike Frezon but I do see that's a super challenging room to set up an HT in. it's a beautiful room, just not super friendly for a home theater setup. Best of luck in your efforts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RMJ
Recent bookmarks