Elac Atmos Speakers (1 Viewer)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The arguments over these variables will never end, I'm sure. Reflecting speakers probably work quite well in ideal situations and not well at all in others, like with vaulted ceilings. But, as usual, everyone wants everyone else to do everything the same way they do it. Having said that, I can't imagine that high front speakers can ever achieve the same result as reflected ones, when the situation is ideal for them, or ceiling mounted, whether it's in-ceiling or surface mounted. They're not just supposed to be elevated, but overhead, as in out in the room. I saw one guy who just put a pair of bookshelf speakers on top of his mains, aimed forward, and swore that was the ideal way to incorporate Atmos.

I'm going to try reflected first, just to see what the result is and because my room should work fine for it. Then, I'll ultimately surface mount 4 speakers for a full fledged 7.1.4 system. I know, it's kind of a radical concept to actually try different options to see how they compare.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
The arguments over these variables will never end, I'm sure. Reflecting speakers probably work quite well in ideal situations and not well at all in others, like with vaulted ceilings. But, as usual, everyone wants everyone else to do everything the same way they do it. Having said that, I can't imagine that high front speakers can ever achieve the same result as reflected ones, when the situation is ideal for them, or ceiling mounted, whether it's in-ceiling or surface mounted. They're not just supposed to be elevated, but overhead, as in out in the room.

I'm going to try reflected first, just to see what the result is and because my room should work fine for it. Then, I'll ultimately surface mount 4 speakers for a full fledged 7.1.4 system. I know, it's kind of a radical concept to actually try different options to see how they compare.

I fully agree John. The best way to see the best is try all. Do you still have the joices in the ceiling showing in your basement or did you do a drop ceiling? I read an article from Dunleavy who used to make very good speakers, that the ceiling should have beams to breakup reflections and add to better sound.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Make sure you post your results for us all. Hope it is satisfying for you. Elac has a great reputation and I'm sure you will be pleased.
Will do. I won’t have a point of comparison though since these will be my first Atmos speakers. But I can post if it made a significant difference compared to a 5.1 showing.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
Please do some research on reflective surfaces to put on the ceiling. Dolby is so lame on the R+D. I am sure they know what reflects best for upward firing speakers. I wish they would just help everyone with the information they already have researched.

Doug Smith

Second Unit
Was wondering about reflective surfaces. In my new Condo I believe the ceilings may be concrete with a layer of some spray finish over top. Not sure - but I can't drive a nail through it. How did concrete turn out as a reflective surface?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Will do. I won’t have a point of comparison though since these will be my first Atmos speakers. But I can post if it made a significant difference compared to a 5.1 showing.

All right, Carlo. It's time to call you out for your opinion on the added Elac Debut 2.0. :D

I'm about to enter the world of Atmos, too and am thinking they might be my best (easiest) way to try things out.

I've got a pair of wall-mounted Polk RTi4s as my two front speakers (along with two RTi6s as my rears and a CSi5 as my center with an SVS PB-1000 sub) and am thinking I could set the Elacs on top of them.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
All right, Carlo. It's time to call you out for your opinion on the added Elac Debut 2.0. :D

I'm about to enter the world of Atmos, too and am thinking they might be my best (easiest) way to try things out.

I've got a pair of wall-mounted Polk RTi4s as my two front speakers (along with two RTi6s as my rears and a CSi5 as my center with an SVS PB-1000 sub) and am thinking I could set the Elacs on top of them.
Which speakers are you going to set those Elacs on top of?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
How high is your ceiling? Also, how much distance do you estimate between your ceiling and those Elacs sitting on your Polks? I'm assuming those Polks are leveled and are not slanted down as those Elac's appear to be a little wider than those Polks.

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member

Lol my bad!

I will say they're not bad...but in my bedroom system I mounted some RSL CG3 direct speakers as front/height (right where my ceiling and front wall meet) and I find those to be way better in terms of fidelity and directionality than the ceiling bouncing ELACs.

In fact, I'm thinking of getting another set of RSL CG3s and mounting them in the living room to relieve the ELACs of their duty.

The ELACs aren't bad if ceiling firing is your only option, which I for a long time thought was the case for me (turns out, I'm just lazy). When I mounted the front-height in the bedroom and angled them just above the listener's head...that's the ticket.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a comment, Atmos speakers are supposed to go overhead, not just elevated. In my experience, reflecting speakers are capable of producing a more correct overhead direction, but are too diffuse, where height speakers create a more distinct direction, but lack the proper overhead direction. The only correct solution is in-ceiling or on-ceiling speakers overhead, but that's not always feasible. I find a lot of people don't even consider doing it correctly, which is why I mention it. I've tried the options, including the ELAC reflecting speakers, and I'm intent on doing correct overhead speakers in my HT and probably my living room. The RSL CG3s will probably be my choice, on ceiling mounts, for my living room. The HT will either be ELAC or RSL in-ceiling models, but that room also can facilitate them fairly easily.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Thanks, John.

I'm considering my options because I'm purchasing a new Atmos-abled receiver (Denon X3600H).

The reason I am starting my research by considering the Elacs involves a fair amount of WAF. I figure they could be installed atop the Polk RTi4s and not require much by way of further disturbance of the living room aesthetic.

My room speakers (front & surround) are already raised a bit above ear level. The center is located just underneath the display.

There will be no ceiling mounted speakers in the living room. And I kinda figured having the Polks just a couple feet away from the ceiling might give the Elacs a more definitive "bounce." And I don't think two more small speakers mounted on the wall above the Polks (at the celing level) would be well received by my wife, either!

Carlo Medina

Senior HTF Member
Just to clarify when you say no ceiling mounted, you’re including those mounted on the wall but up close to the ceiling?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Personally, I would never have my L&R speakers mounted that high. It makes no difference if they're angled down. Their sound is still coming from where it's coming from. I'd consider having them lower and adjust the output from the reflecting speakers to compensate. I've been trying the ELAC reflecting speakers in my HT about 3.5' from the ceiling.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
BTW Mike, I expect reflecting Atmos speakers are your best compromise of all available options. You still need physical separation between their reflection and the front speakers to get the desired effect.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Personally, I would never have my L&R speakers mounted that high. It makes no difference if they're angled down. Their sound is still coming from where it's coming from. I'd consider having them lower and adjust the output from the reflecting speakers to compensate. I've been trying the ELAC reflecting speakers in my HT about 3.5' from the ceiling.
At times, you have to compromise your HT desires/needs because of your significant other which is probably the case with Mike.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boreli
Recent bookmarks