Elaboration on GC Internet for games such as PSO

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BertFalasco, Jan 5, 2003.

1. BertFalasco

BertFalasco Supporting Actor

I am in the dark on how GC chose to provide online gaming. Is it like pS2, already useable ISP such as AOL or does nintendo require credit cards for their service and such?

Thanks

If anyone says that I can just pay for the service at EB or something I'll pick PSO up, if not..NBA Live 2003 baby.

2. Philip_S

Philip_S Stunt Coordinator

You can use your existing ISP with either the 56K or Broadband modem (if you can find them)

Payment goes through Sega since it's their game (nice online plan Nintendo). 10 bucks a month I think, Credit Card required.

3. BertFalasco

Oh sweet, so I use ghetto AOL. I can use AOL and not have to pay extra and/or usage of a credit card after I buy the modem adapter?

-Bert

4. Eugene Wong

Eugene Wong Auditioning

it's not really worth it, but if you really must play PSO like the vets from the DC days then do so, but $10USD a month is more than what it was before and Nintendo did a limited release of their online adapters so it may not be the easiest thing to get. I wish they would have done a trimonthly or half year or yearly payment method that costs less.

5. BertFalasco

6. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It depends on the game. If there are charges to play, it should be clearly stated on the box that additional payment is required, as is the case with PSO (as both Philip and Eugene noted).

Also keep in mind that communicating online is nigh impossible without a keyboard, and they run around $100 for the Gamecube. They aren't available in the U.S. so we have to pay a hefty fee to import one.

-Dave

7. Cameron Seaman

Cameron Seaman Supporting Actor

I'm not sure, but I for some reason, I don't think you can use the Sega service with AOL. Please correct me if I am wrong.

And PSO is $9 a month, for what's it's worth.

8. BertFalasco

Oh damnit well I was surfing Nintendo's site as I am going to order a component cable in a few minutes I came across this:

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

The reason why console games will not work with AOL, Compuserve and free internet providers is because they use proprietary interfaces instead of standard protocols.