1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

EL CID

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by trajan007, Sep 4, 2016.

1. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    The Blu-ray release I have is from Anchor Bay UK and is a region B release so very happy I bought a all region player.

skylark68 likes this.
  2. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    This is one of my favorite Samuel Bronston films. I have the Miriam Collection DVD release and watching it is always a most satisfying pleasure. The soundtrack is to die for.

3. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I do think that it is a bit short and superficial but as it is the only book to my knowledge that deals directly with Bronston I bought it, too.

I wish somebody would delve a little deeper into the Bronston empire. One gets a few tidbits in other books and it is quite fascinating to read how it seemed to be a means to fill ones pockets for many who were involved and one can only think that with less overspending he could have produced a few more movies before the period of the historic epic came to an end anyway.

4. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Supporting Actor

The Rozsa score is available from Tadlow Music in a 'new' recording. It is complete and quite good.

Darby67 likes this.
  5. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor
    Supporter

Patrick McCart
    I'd love to see a proper Blu of this. Great film. The DVD is good, but it's nowhere near the quality of Warner's King of Kings (another excellent Bronston production) or other Technirama films on video.

I also have the score CD and it's one of the best re-recordings I've heard.

6. Darby67

Darby67 Screenwriter

Sean
    Thanks for the tip, Paul.

7. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    Comparison of UK Blu-ray to FR DVD of 55 Days at Peking. I guess the UK version is region free as the French version is.

atcolomb and skylark68 like this.
  8. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
  9. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    Superficial is right. I thought it a very disappointing book

10. Message #30 of 40 Sep 7, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    john a hunter

john a hunter Screenwriter

It's a fan based book with little research.
    At the time it was published we were promised an in depth look into the Bronston Empire from Prof. Neal Rosendorf who, if memory serves, appears on some of the Weinstein extras.
    "Hollywood in Madrid. "
    Not only dealing in detail with the films but also Bronston's relationship with the then much hated Franco regime.
    As Oliver says there is much to be told.
    Unfortunately no sign of the book.
    I did have Neal's email address as we were in touch when the Martin book was released and I tried to contact him a year or so ago.
    No reply.
    If anyone knows his whereabouts ,it would be good to find out what as happened.

11. john a hunter

But not released in multi channel hi rez which this score cries out for. Boo- hoo

12. Paul Rossen

Yes, but....the producer has already stated it would be too expensive to remaster in 5.1 blu ray sound(as he did with Obsession). This recording is head and shoulders above the original MGM soundtrack and the Sedares recordings. Also, this 2-3 disc version includes the cues deleted from the film. Most are quite good.

I am thrilled that there seems to be interest in EL CID as this was one of my favorite Roadshow films of the early 60's. The film requires a true restoration to bring it to it's 1961 glory.

OliverK, davidmatychuk and SAhmed like this.
  13. john a hunter

If it was a choice between El Cid in 5.1 or Obsession I would rather have Rozsa's magnificent score. And I love Herrmann.

Amen to a true restoration though.

14. OliverK

OliverK Producer

I also contacted Neal years ago, never received a reply to my last mail, too.

The Bronston book is listed as in contract here:
    http://myweb.cwpost.liu.edu/nrosendo/CV--Rosendorf--updated 9-08-06.pdf

I would also be very interested in his doctoral dissertation, looks like interesting reading:
    “The Life and Times of Samuel Bronston, Builder of ‘Hollywood in Madrid’: A Study in the International Scope and Influence of American Popular Culture”

15. OliverK

OliverK Producer

Agreed on the soundtrack, I have it too and it is magnificent.

I am thrilled, too when an El Cid thread pops up, same for Fall of the Roman Empire. They are my favorites among the 5 bigger Bronston epics and unfortunately also the two with the worst home video incarnations.

SAhmed likes this.
  16. OliverK

OliverK Producer

mods please delete, double post

17. Mark Anthony

Mark Anthony Second Unit

As far as i'm aware all of the elements for the main Bronston epics (Fall..., El..., 55...& Circus) are all sitting in the same London vault that they have been for 40-50 years. The elements are apparently in comparatively excellent condition as the negatives have not been touched or re-printed since original release. The "restoration" of El-Cid from the early 90's used an inter element to produce the new prints, the O-Neg was untouched.

Pinewood studios have an 8K Northlight Scanner, so there is no need for a risky international flight or shipment to produce an 8K Scan / 4K Master. Just needs someone to say yes....

M

Jimbo64, Robin9 and SAhmed like this.
  18. Paul Rossen

Would not disagree. That said it is what it is and Tadlow Music has stated that it is more expensive to record and release in Blu ray 5.1 than regular cd. I'm just thrilled to have their new recordings. The Obsession blu ray disc is in my system quite lovely in it's quieter moments and quite bombastic in the loud passages. Tadlow's new IS PARIS BURNING? recording would be truly great in Blu ray sound but it's quite good on cd. The performance of Jarre's masterpiece is excellent.

I truly hope that the powers that be make the decision to release EL CID on a proper restored Blu Ray.

19. Message #39 of 40 Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
    OliverK

OliverK Producer

From what I heard from Gerry Byrne the elements where not quite as perfectly stored at all times but as of today indeed they seem to be in good hands and in a good storage environment which is all that counts. So Bronston productions ceasing to exist was probably a good thing at least for the negatives as nobody wanted to go back to them due to fear of this being too expensive.

They have the Northlight 2 but it cannot handle 65mm. It produces very high quality 35mm 8 perf scans so it would be an excellent choice for scanning El Cid.

Jimbo64, Paul Rossen and SAhmed like this.
  20. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Did try to play the Anchor Bay Blu-ray on my Panasonic player and got a message saying the disc is a region B play only.

skylark68 likes this.