El Cid -best available DVD..

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Chuck, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Chuck

Chuck Auditioning

There is an English release, a german, a Hong Kong- a rumored Anchor Bay (never heard any more about it)-
    anyone having any of these, would really appreciate input as to quality and completeness (cut scenes,prelude, intermission, exit music, etc.).

2. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor

I started watching the Japanese disk last night as a rental from NicheFlix. It's anamorphic widescreen with a DD 5.1 English soundtrack and removable Japanese subtitles. Quality varies a bit with some scenes showing a lot of damage but most look just fine. The color is noticeably faded as well. Audio is pretty much front and center save for when the score kicks in. I haven't made it to the intermission yet but the prelude music plays over a plain black screen before the title credits begin rolling. Can't comment on any cuts as this is the first time I've watched the movie.

3. Chuck

Chuck Auditioning

Japanese? another release I hadn't heard about- can you identify it more? and could you share where you got it?

and thanks!

4. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Ken Koc
    The Hong Kong release release which is a box set with 2 other Bronstein film has EL CID in 2.35:1 and 5.1 and is also anamorphic, looks and sounds good but the Intermission music is missing. There is exit music but it sounds terrible. I also have the German release and find the HK better on all fronts.

5. Michael Warner

Michael Warner Supporting Actor