What's new

EL CID (2 disc) release date: 1/29 (1 Viewer)

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
The Hollywood Reporter states that EL CID will include:

Cast Interviews;

1961 Radio interviews with Charlton Heston and Sophia Loren;

Feature-length commentary from Bill Bronston, son of producer Sam Bronston, and historian-author Neal M. Rosendorf, assistant professor of U.S. international history at Long Island University;

Documentary on the importance of film preservation and restoration;

Featurettes on Bronston, director Anthony Mann and composer Miklos Rozsa;

"Making of" documentary, "Hollywood Conquers Spain";

The collector's edition also comes with reproductions of the original 1961 souvenir program and El Cid comic book, as well as six color production stills.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Jim_K, Simon L, and Douglas R. All good news. Simon, welcome to the forum.

Has anyone heard about differing running lengths of El Cid? I heard that different cuts of the movies were shown during the early 60s, plus there was some footage never shown, but available in movie format. It would be nice if they could give us everything filmed. That was before my time, but someone who was around in the early 60s was telling me about this. To me this sounds as if there was a 180 minute cut for the 1961 version, and a 170 minute cut for a 1963 rerelease (these numbers are just examples, not exact).

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
This one has me really excited for this is one of my favorite films and all the discussion forced me pull out the Criterion laserdisc edition that was released in 1996. I compared the Special Features on the laserdisc with the announcement and find that all are there along with more. I would guess since the old Miramax released the Martin Scorsese restored film back in 1993 and was part of the Criterion release, that we are looking at the 184 minute release, which includes Overture and intermission. The laserdisc was also presented in Dolby Digital (AC-3) so we should have a good 5.1 soundtrack.

The laserdisc was exceptional and a thing of beauty at the time. I look forward to this DVD and the other Bronston films, including Circus World. I would also expect that the Weinsteins would be very careful about this release since it is under a collection that carries their mother's name.

john a hunter

Screenwriter
Has anyone heard about differing running lengths of El Cid?

I can't speak for the U.S, but in the U.K and I believe Australia, it was never cut for general release after its long running roadshow showings.

AbbyNormal

Agent
Real Name
Jeff Heise
:eek: My hope with this release is that the "fringing" problem that was very evident in the second reel of the film is finally fixed. I saw the Miramax reissue at the Cinerama Dome some years ago and for the first half of reel two there were some serious separation problems that made it hard to enjoy the film (if you have ever seen a film in that theater and know how big the screen is, imagine a film that has one of the separation masters out of alignment and you'll get what I mean). Fortunately the picture snapped back into place and the rest was absolutely beautiful.

I had a Region 0 disc from Brazil that had no registration problems and was complete, albeit without the overture, intermission, entr'acte and exit music, but it was nice to see the film at home (the same company also had ROMAN EMPIRE, also without the roadshow materials and in 1:85 [!]). I am so looking forward to replacing that disc with this one-and I will get the deluxe package, too!!
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
There are two sets of El Cid coming out. Both are 2 disc sets. The "Deluxe Edition" looks like it's just the discs: the "Limited Collector's Edition" looks like it has the poster cards and a bunch of other stuff in a bigger box.

My question: are the discs themselves the same? :confused:

Street prices are $17 and $26, respectively, for the two sets.

EDIT: DVDBeaver says they are the same discs, and opines that you should pass on the trinkets, "most of which end up in the garbage". :laugh:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
I bought an import of el Cid about five years ago, a bare bones flipper and an adequate port of the Criterion laser disc, then I bought another import which is still in the shrink wrap, which I misplaced and then found today. I've been waiting years for a proper release of El Cid, my favorite of Heston's epics and one of my favorite films. I'll grab the collector's edition.
Unless I'm mistaken, GoodTimes ported the widescreen laser disc of The Warlord for their DVD. A decent picture, properly framed, non-anamorphic. No complaints. I bought mine in the discount bin at Best Buy for $4.88 not to long ago. An intelligent and under-rated film with one of Heston's three best performances. If you like Heston and his later collaboration with Franklyn Schaffner, you won't be disappointed in The Warlord. The title is misleading. It's neither an epic nor a war film although there is some action and plenty of tension. It's a romantic tragedy having more in common with The Lion In Winter than El Cid. I think the basic plot inspired Corman's Masque of the Red Death, too.

Craig99

Grip
Real Name
Craig
The library where I work often gets DVDs in advance of street date and I was fortunate enough to get a look at El Cid last night......a simply beautiful transfer. Rich, deep color, nice detail, almost zero grain. Sometimes looked like HD. Can't wait to purchase a copy!

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by Richard--W:
I agree that The War Lord is an underrated film that deserves a deluxe release. It also features one of the rare music scores by Jerome Moross of The Big Country fame.

Now I want to know: what are the other two of "Heston's 3 best performances"?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
You mean from the 1960s?
What he does with astronaut Taylor in Planet of the Apes astonishes me. i never get tired of this performance or this film. The War Lord and The Agony and the Ecstasy are my other favorite performances because of the characters he's playing ... unless I'm watching El Cid, during which I can't imagine him in anything else.

I do wish that Number One were available on home video.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I did not necessarily mean the 60's, but that was certainly Heston's best decade. I would also add Major Dundee to the list. It's not an altogether great film, but I thought Heston was really great in it. He played an cynical character (as he often did earlier in his career in the 50s), and was extremely charismatic in the role.

I think many dismiss Heston as an actor, but it requires a certain talent to be larger than life and impressive in all the heroic roles he played. I cannot imagine any other actor as El Cid. Heston in his great heroic roles reminds one of staues and paintings of heroic figures-romaniticized, idealized and legendary.

The 70s were not as kind to Heston, but I particularly liked his Cardinal Richelieu in Lester's Musketeer films. That could have been a throwaway role with a lesser actor, but Heston dominates almost every scene he is in in that film.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Oh, sure. Charlton Heston is an admirable person, thoroughly honest and conscientious, and a really fine man. Philosophical and historical issues are important to him and he brings these disciplines into play when he's acting. He takes the craft of acting very seriously, but acting is not the only thing he knows. He's also patriotic in a well-informed way, not an ignorant way. His substance and integrity show up there on the screen, too. That part isn't acting. Watch his westerns. Although he was never offered a western character worthy of his mettle, the westerns he did make brought out the best in him.

El Cid is like a self-contained world that Heston inhabits like a comfortable pair of work clothes; the epic is just his size and his talent is big enough to fill it. I recommend El Cid to everyone. The official DVD is long overdue. I will cheerfully shell out the extra bucks for the box-set with the frills, but what I really want is the beautiful picture to match this heartfelt, intelligent epic. If you haven't experienced El Cid give it a chance, you won't be disappointed.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Wow, I've never heard of anyone else liking The Agony and The Ecstasy. :eek:

It's a great actor's film. Chuck is near his prime and Rex Harrison probably has his best day ever. :emoji_thumbsup: And the current DVD isn't bad.

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
Richard--W, thanks for the Warlord rundown. I was aware that it is more of a personal movie than a blockbuster.

I've always like Heston in Ben-Hur and Planet of the Apes. I enjoy the way he portrays anger. I can feel his rage in those two movies.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I ordered the Limited Edition online after insuring that the local seller I buy from did not appear to have it listed - and then drop by and noticed a few copies for sale on Saturday. Can't see buying two copies so guess I will just wait. And to think I could have watched it on the new Epson 1080 pj I just setup ahead of schedule. One day!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

I was interested to read that Heston desperately wanted Otto Preminger to cast him as the Southern Senator in Advise & Consent, it is the role that was ultimately played by Charles Laughton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks