Ejecting a disc from a frozen HD-A1

i've tried to search but haven't found out if their is a way to eject the disc from the player after it has frozen up. i haven't been successful in getting the machine to boot up past the "Welcome" message on the front panel since the freeze up. Now i want to return it to best buy for service or an exchange. But, i would like my copy of The Chronicles of Riddick before i take it back. i have thoroughly enjoyed my HD experience since purchasing the unit 6 weeks ago. if anyone has an idea on how to do this i would greatly appreciate it.

thanks!

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
There should be a small hole where you can use a paper clip to manually eject the disc. You will need to manually open the drive door to do this.

mfabien

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michel Fabien

Does your player work now?

People that have upgraded to version 2.0 online and have had a DVD in the tray during the update have had a fatal error with the Welcome displayed on the screen and no forward progress. For those cases, Toshiba has requested return of the player to get it repaired. Is that your case?

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

BTW a guy was able to fix the problem you're having (stuck on welcome screen) by taking the cover off the player (four screws) and re-seating the SO Dimm 1GB (laptop style) memory chip which was not seated fully.

after ejecting the disc, i was able to get the player to work by a little "mechanical agitation" (closed fist on top of unit. twice) it seemed to shake it out of its frozen state. when i loaded 2.0 their was not a disc in the unit. it had 1.4 on it when purchased and before i played my first disc i loaded 2.0.

thanks for that info Robert. i'll check to see if perhaps my RAM isn't quite seated right. i don't want it to freeze up again. not a big fan of the "fist on unit" method.

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe

If you do open the case also check all the ribbon cables for proper seating as well as the memory chip. BTW I don't believe there are any warranty seals on the cover to worry about.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
els