1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

International Eisenstein's Ivan the Terrible on Blu ray ... .in France

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by AnthonyClarke, Apr 7, 2019.

Tags:
  1. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    Here's a URL to Fnac in France, announcing Eisenstein's 'Ivan the Terrible' for Blu ray release this month (April).
    https://www.nl.fnac.be/a13266672/Ivan-le-Terrible-Combo-Blu-ray-DVD-Blu-Ray
    It's very scant on details ... is this just Part One, or Parts One and Two? And there's no mention of subtitles, if any, or in which languages.
    Still, it does suggest that the Mosfilm restorations for Blu ray which were completed last year are now able to be exploited.
    If anyone has any further details ... or news on possible release in Britain or the US .. that would be great.

atcolomb likes this.
  2. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    Once in lifetime, there comes a motion picture, which changes the whole history of motion pictures. A picture so stunning in its effect, so vast in its impact, that it profoundly affects the lives of all who see it. One such film is Kurosawa's "Seven Samurai". Another is "Ivan The Terrible".

I have the old Image laserdiscs and Criterion DVDs. Part 1 is 99 minutes on the laserdisc and 103 minutes on the DVD. Amazon.fr indicates that the blu ray has a running time of 103 minutes. Part 2 was 86 minutes on the laserdisc and 88 minutes on the DVD. I'd guess this forthcoming blu ray is Part One. Looks like the subtitles are in French. We can always hope Criterion will upgrade.

atcolomb and AnthonyClarke like this.
  3. AnthonyClarke

Anthony
    Part One will be better than none ... but I love the way the Part Two presentation switches to vibrant colour for the second reel .. even though that was only because the censors demanded that Eisenstein reshoot the final sequence. Instead of softening the film (which the authorities hated as they saw it as an oblique criticism of Stalin) he simply reshot it using some captured war-time German Agfa colour film-stock. The extraordinary switch from B & W to colour simply confounded the censors who eventually allowed its release.
    'Ivan' and the earlier 'Alexander Nevsky' are in my opinion the greatest examples of music composition for the cinema screen. Eisenstein and Prokofiev worked in the closest collaboration, scene by scene, with Eisenstein shooting and editing to produce the closest synthesis possible of sound and image. These are epic achievements of cinema and I do hope Criterion or someone like BFI or Eureka in Britain have them under strongest consideration already.

Brent Reid and atcolomb like this.
  4. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    When I was teenager I bought the book The Fifty Worst Films of All Time by Harry Medved & Randy Dreyfuss and they had the Ivan movies listed in it. When I saw both for the first time when TCM did a broadcast years ago it became my favorite Eisenstein film. Hope to see Criterion do a reissue soon.

5. titch

titch Supporting Actor

Kevin Oppegaard
    The list:
    https://www.listchallenges.com/the-fifty-worst-films-of-all-time

Harry Medved was all of 17 years old in 1978, if his biography on The Golden Turkey Awards (1980) is correct. I'll concede that Ivan The Terrible is melodramatic, theatrical and slow moving. But what visuals! Although a seasoned film buff might perhaps roll one's eyes at a pimply 17 year old dissing Ivan The Terrible Part 1 (or Last Year At Marianbad, which is also on the list), I am impressed at his willingness to sample anything at such a tender age! I clearly remember seeing Kurosawa's Ran at its premiere, with my best friend when I was 18. His verdict afterwards: "That was the stupidest film I've ever seen!". We had a special showing of Ran to celebrate our 50th birthday celebrations a couple of summers ago and - surprise! - it was no longer the stupidest. Age, maturity and experience, hey?

I'm trying to prepare my nine year old son for black and white classic movies. We saw Buster Keaton's Steamboat Bill Jr. last month. When it started, he practically burst into tears: "Is it a BLACK AND WHITE movie?", he asked, appalled. Then 10 seconds later, the horror growing exponentially: "OH NO, DAD - IS THIS A SILENT MOVIE??!" I can tell you that after it finished, he asked, "Can we see it again?" He'll be ready for Ivan The Terrible next year!

atcolomb likes this.
  6. AnthonyClarke

Anthony
    I loved that '50 Worst Films of All Time' .. it's still in my bookshelves somewhere. And it never worried me that they were slating one of my all-time favourite movies because they themselves were so over the top.
    And I'm sure their picturesque condemnation inspired quite a few people to seek it out .....

titch likes this.