1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review Eighth Grade Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Josh Steinberg, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    TravisR, Flashgear and Jake Lipson like this.
  2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I have nothing to add except that I I agree with pretty much everything you said in your review.

I think this is one of the best movies of the year and I am really glad to have the disc.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  3. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Great review Josh. Great film too.

TravisR and Josh Steinberg like this.
  4. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Filmed a mile from my house. Found that out by noticing a menu from a local restaurant on the refrigerator in her kitchen. :)

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  5. Mark Booth

Mark Booth Cinematographer
    Supporter

We are showing 'Eighth Grade' next weekend in the Booth Bijou Garage Theater. We saw the film at our favorite cineplex and, while I loved it, I was also just a tiny bit creeped out by it. Young Elsie Fisher does such an amazing job of portraying a struggling Eighth Grader, I found myself feeling like it was too real and offered too much of an inside view of a 13-year-old's personal life. It made me feel like a bit of a voyeur, seeing things that I shouldn't really be watching.

I am looking forward to discussing the film with our friends after they've seen it.

Mark

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    A great review! I didn’t buy this BD as I’m trying to limit my disc purchases because I’m running out of bookcases. Therefore, I decided to buy the 4K/Dolby Vision download from iTunes for $9.99. I watched it today and I must say it’s one of the best films I’ve seen this year as it really details the difficulties that shy, not so confident eighth graders go through in today’s social media world. They’re connected and disconnected at the same time with life and the realities of what they’re facing day to day. Without question, it was much easier to navigate eighth grade in my youth than it is today. Elsie Fisher was amazing as the protagonist. As she stated in one of the bonus features that it was easier for her to project her own experiences into her performance, since, she starred in this film that vary summer after graduating eighth grade herself.

Josh Steinberg and Tino like this.