What's new

Eight Legged Freaks DVD on 10/29 (1 Viewer)

TomJD

Agent
Just got word that Warner Home Video is releasing "Eight Legged Freaks" on DVD and VHS on 10/29/02(Just In Time for Halloween!).
[c]DVD Special Features:
Alternate Ending
Additional Scenes
Commentary with David Arquette and Director/Co-Writer Ellory Elkayem
Hidden Spider Trivia
"Larger Than Life" - The director's original short film that inspired the movie
DVD-ROM Spider-killing challenge
Theatrical Trailer
Available in both widescreen and fullscreen versions[/c]
Somehow I missed this in the theatres.Will be looking forward to seeing it.
Eight

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a sweet package! Glad to see they're including that "Larger Than Life" short, seeing as it was what inspired Devlin/Emmerich to hire the director.

Needless to say, I think this movie deserved a much heftier box-office payday than it received.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
Is this some kind of record for Shortest Time Between Theatrical and DVD Release?

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it!

Jan

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
It's nice to see Warner Brothers putting together special editions for films that tanked at theaters (just like Death To Smoochy). I won't be going near the disc :), but I'm sure the fans of the film will be buying this one.

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Is this some kind of record for Shortest Time Between Theatrical and DVD Release?
Pretty damn close! It's about tied with The Blair Witch Project and Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within. :D
Blair Witch
Theatrical Release - 01 August 1999 (wide release)
DVD - 22 October 1999
Final Fantasy
Theatrical Release - 15 July 2001
DVD - 23 October 2001
Eight Legged Freaks
Theatrical Release - 21 July 2002
DVD - 29 October 2002

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Cool! I really wanted to see this in theaters and was also disappointed that it didn't do better business, but hey, the mass audiences loss is my HT gain! Looking forward to it!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Cool As Ice
Theatrical Release: October 18, 1991
Video Release: December 19, 1991
Now that beats Final Fantasy and Blair Witch 2. :)

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I wasn't enthralled with the movie terribly but if the sound and extras are good it might be worth a look. Is that a snapper case?:thumbsdown:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Is that a snapper case?
If it's Warner, it must be a snapper. :thumbsdown:
On the upside, it seems maybe New Line Home Video has discarded the snapper. Both "Blade 2" and "All About the Benjamins" seem to be in keepcases.
Can't wait for ELF on DVD. Such a fun movie, too bad it got lost in the summer shuffle.

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Cool As Ice
Theatrical Release: October 18, 1991
Video Release: December 19, 1991
But did Universal REALLY decide that Cool as Ice was worthy of an unusual video release date, a Thursday? Or was somebody just submitting doo-doo info to IMDb? :D
Mighty Joe Young was December 25, 1998 in theaters and March 23, 1999 on DVD.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
I loved this film, and will definitely be getting the DVD! I'm glad to see it will have some groovy extras, but too bad the ultra hot Kari Wuhrer won't be on the commentary. :D

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
I still hate that stupid look on David Arquette's face as much as I did when I had to stare at it on billboards everyday during my subway commutes, but I'll be checking this out on DVD if the BB/CC price is right during the first week of release. I'm usually a sucker for crappy monster movies, but I didn't get a chance to check it out during the theatrical release. :frowning:
DJ

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
It seems like a waste of resources to have released this film theatrically. Why not just release bad performers straight to video?

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Jeff, that would work if the studios had a crystal ball telling them which movies would be 'bad performers'.

And what exactly makes it a "waste of resources"? Have you seen this movie yet?

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Why not just release bad performers straight to video?
Given the lack of psychic abilities on the part of movie studios, this film wasn't known to be a "bad performer" until after the theatrical run had already commenced. They had hoped, of course, that it would do much better; that's why they released it theatrically. Theatrical runs, even poor ones, also give a film a somewhat better standing for video release, as even theatrical bombs still don't have anywhere near the odor eminating off of them as do movies that have simply gone straight-to-video.

DJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks