Eidos - no XBL support

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave F, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Bloomberg.com:

2. Romier S

Romier S Producer

Hey Dave,

There is a raging discussion on the subject here:

Eidos/EA

If you actually wanted to separate the discussion then ignore me[​IMG]. Just a heads up.

3. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I think the "incentive" would be the increased sales they'd get from making a better game. Maybe Microsoft could do more though. If they send devs some software packages that made it basically effortless to get the XBL code into games, it would be foolish to leave it out.

4. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

Thanks Romier - from the subject I had assumed that it was only EA... :b

-Dave

5. BrianB

BrianB Producer

6. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

But there must be some sort of incentive, or else we wouldn't see the number of PC games with network support built into them which are free to play (and in many cases, over servers not controlled by the publisher).

How many people wouldn't have bought Quake 1 without it's internet support? I know I'd probably be one of them.

One incentive might not necessarily be immediate, increased sales, but instead continual sales with an overall increase over a game without Online support. Taking the PC market as an example again, games like Freedom Force, C&C Renegade, or Sim Golf, (which were all fairly high profile releases last year) can now be found for next to nothing ($10-$20 CND here) while Half-Life continues to sell well for $35, Counterstrike is $40, Diablo 2 is $40, and Starcraft is $28 for the BattleChest.

While these types of sales are not guaranteed just by adding in online, it's pretty hard to deny that these games have not managed to keep their sales going years after release mainly because of it's online play and community (the fact that Counterstrike costs more and sells better than Half-Life should be enough to show that).

While I certainly don't expect every game to support XBoxLive (Actually I do, but that is another matter), to state that there is no incentive simply because Microsoft controls (and pays for) the service seems short sighted, and maybe a bit stubborn in my opinion.

7. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

8. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

9. Brandon_H

Brandon_H Stunt Coordinator

I don't think Eidos is worried too much about its ego. It's worried about its pocketbook.