What's new

Eggs with double yolks (1 Viewer)

Ryan Tsang

Second Unit
Aren't these cool? It's like twins. And I just cracked three in a row!!!!

Should I buy a lottery tix? :)

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
I had an experience like this... Except it was much more frightening...

Cracked this one large egg and inside were these 2 yolks with tiny little dots of blood and weird looking gooey stuff... It was pretty gross... This was a long time ago...

Anyways, 3 in a row... Maybe your having a good day... Go buy that lottery ticket... :wink:

dave_brogli

Screenwriter
i hate blood in my eggs....
if theres blood I throw it away.
If theres twins i say "awwwww" and fry them babies up.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
This means it was a fertilized egg.
When I was growing up, we had one chicken that always laid double yolked eggs. You can tell them before you crack them because both ends are large. i.e. they are symetrical.

John_Kiger

Agent
Bloodspots in eggs can be caused by an injury to the hen, often by the hen flying into the wall or something when frightened. In commercially produced eggs, it's very doubtful a rooster was available to fertilize an egg in a caged hen. 40-50 years ago, the candling process would prevent eggs with bloodspots from being sold. I don't know what the standards are now.

Double yolks occur more often with older, large sized hens. The candling process eliminated these also, because they did not keep well.

The "goo" you refer to may be the piece that suspends the yolk in the shell from the larger end of the egg. That's present in all eggs, no matter the circumstance.:)

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I think that's what's referenced above. For years I knew what it was called; now I forget. I think I learned it in 6th grade Bio. It will probably come to me at midnight.

I used to get double-yolkers all the time (I'm talking within the last few months). At least a couple in each dozen of Jumbo eggs, but I haven't had any recently. Odd. Then again, I've been settling for Giant eggs since I've been too lazy to drive to Wal-Mart to get the kind I like better. That may be it.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
The cord thing is called chalazae and it helps suspend the yolk in the middle of the egg.

I learned that by watching Good Eats. Speaking of Good Eats... Double yolkers are good eats.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks