What's new

Egg carton slats? What frequencies would they effect? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I used to play drums and I got egg slats (the square slats that you use to store eggs on a farm) and I glued them on my ceiling, underneath, and out of site behind the ceiling tiles. I don't think it really had a huge effect on reducing the noise, but I was wondering if anybody knew what frequencies those egg carton slats would have any effect on if at all.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Chris,

Nothing will reduce the noise of what’s already inside the room (except a volume control). The egg boxes may reduce the level of noise going out of the room, but probably not much.

The purpose of the egg boxes is for in-room dampening, to make a room more “dead” by inhibiting reverberation and dispersing soundwaves. The former is accomplished by the rather soft material, the latter by the irregular surface. Putting them on the ceiling would only help with sound that might bounce off the ceiling. Putting them above the ceiling accomplishes nothing. To be most effective they would have to cover all walls and the ceiling, too.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks