efficient speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Anthony Moore, Jan 12, 2002.

1. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have the Denon 3802. I just unplugged my Polk audio speakers (r1000i's), and plugged in my old Fischers (like 20 years old). Now these puppies dont sound bad, they have a 15" woofer and some pretty powerful mids and highs. BUT, they seem to have less volume at the same volume knob position as the Polks. Is this due to speaker efficiency? I heard some speakers will sound louder than others because they are more "efficient." Is this true? If so, can someone explain this to me? Which speakers are known to be more efficient than others? Which are known to be not-as-efficient?

thanks

2. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

If I remember right anything rated at a sensitivity of 89db or higher is considered efficient. WHat that rating tells you is, that if your reciever/amp produces 1watt and your speakers at 1meter away from the listening area then you'll get 89db. Everytime you double the wattage you add 3db. Not quite sure what large distances from speakers do, though I would assume the decibel level drops the further back. By how much?? Maybe someone else can answer.

Kevin

3. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

I was under the impression that speakers with sensitivity of 91db and above are considered "high efficiency speakers." Klipsch is the brand that always comes to mind when "high efficiency speakers" are mentioned.

4. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Yes, Klipsch are some very efficient speakers and always have been. My 10 year old Quartets are 98db and my 9 year old Academy is 96db. But if you were to get into a pair of Klipschorns, they are rated at 104db.
    Efficient speakers just make it easier to power them, the amp doesn't have to work as hard to get the same volume. For example, to get 100 db from a 88db speaker it would take 16 watts of power.....while getting 100db with a 97db speaker would only take 2 watts of power.
    Here is a link that will give you a good chart to follow -
    http://www.klipsch.com/index.asp?pat...=y&id=&line=&1
    Just click on the "AMPLIFIER POWER/EFFICIENCY" link.
    Hope this helped explain it for you.

5. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

What is it about speakers that make them efficient? Does it make them sound better the more effecient they are?

Kevin

6. Danny Owens

Danny Owens Agent

7. RichardH

RichardH Supporting Actor

Speakers are rated at how many dB you get when you give it 1 watt, measured at 1 meter. So, a speaker with 91dB sensitivity will give you 91dB at 1m if you pump in 1w.

Double the power, gain 3dB.

Double the distance, lose 6dB. (except line sources, which cheat physics and only lose 3dB)

Klipsch is the famous efficient brand.

Axiom is one too.

Paradigm is pretty efficient in general, though not as much as Klipsch.

Missions (some models) and NHT (most models) are known to be pretty inefficient.

Efficiency does not mean better sound, and neither does inefficiency. It's all in the implementation of the drivers, the crossover, the enclosure design, etc.