JohnRice

Film Editor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That’s what I was trying to say, by specifying home use. Commercial and industrial, and maybe hard-core computer use, sure. Movies, even in theaters? Probably not.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

AcesHighStudios

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Williams
The short simple answer is "No," the push toward 8K televisions will not affect the release of 4K Blu-ray or streaming. And as long as studios are content with releasing 4K Blu-rays from 2K DIs, 8K televisions are a complete waste of time and energy. I only support 8K at this time when it comes to cinema cameras, but am only using a combination of 6K and 4K cameras at the moment.

Reactions: Sam Posten

Paul Hillenbrand

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The only interest I have in 8K is that there is a glimmer of hope that the new ATSC 3.0 OTA Broadcast System Standard includes Video System Characteristics for MVC 3D and supports 3D in 1080i, 1080P, 2160P and 4320P.
When the industry abandoned 3D support for 4K, I lost an interest in looking for any and all non 3D 4K products.

Adam Lenhardt

Director
Senior HTF Member
The only interest I have in 8K is that there is a glimmer of hope that the new ATSC 3.0 OTA Broadcast System Standard includes Video System Characteristics for MVC 3D and supports 3D in 1080i, 1080P, 2160P and 4320P.
When the industry abandoned 3D support for 4K, I lost an interest in looking for any and all non 3D 4K products.
I have zero interest in 3D, but I think it was a huge missed opportunity when the transition from PAL and NTSC to HDTV occurred not to have one global standard, with support for 24p, 25p, and 29.97i. ATSC, DVB, and ISDB leave us in the same place we were before -- maybe worse, since there are three commonly adopted standards instead of two (if you count SECAM as part of PAL).

Jeffrey D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey D Hanawalt
I’m stopping at UHD BluRay. My modest little home theater looks more than fine with UHD
(I still have to upgrade my TV to UHD/HDR, which I will do in the near future- dying to see what Toy Story looks like in UHD).

Reactions: PMF and Stephen_J_H

Lord Dalek

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Do you have a link to an article and/or a scientific study which determined this empirically?
There have been no studies but its a fact that's been branded about (even by our RAH) for several years.

jcroy

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
There have been no studies but its a fact that's been branded about (even by our RAH) for several years.
Ok.

So for now, it is strictly anecdotal by the subjective experiences of experts and movie enthusiasts ?

Bradskey

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad Davis
I don't know why 8K matters for home use. 4K barely matters, it just bundled into new stuff by default. Sorry to break it to the CE industry, but they hey-day of upgrading everything to get HD isn't coming around again. I can't imagine anything like that is going to drive sales again. If anything these newer formats are becoming niche as you have a whole generation that just streams content on their tiny little phones. Even with some of this stuff dropping into commodity price ranges, I still can't be bothered to replace a 12yo 32" 720p set I still have around, because it still just works on the rare occasion that I use it.

Worth

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Televisions barely changed in the thirty years between the mid-60s to the mid-90s, yet now they seem hell-bent on pushing an entirely new format every couple of years.

AcesHighStudios

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Williams
Ok.

So for now, it is strictly anecdotal by the subjective experiences of experts and movie enthusiasts ?
Yes, and so obviously and easily disproven by the clear difference between true 4K and 1080p, which is almost 2K already. Also obviously easily disproven by the clear difference between a true 4K Blu-ray and a 2K upscale to 4K.

Also easily disproven by simply going outside and seeing far more detail with your naked eye than you can see on a 4K Blu-ray.

AcesHighStudios

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike Williams
I don't know why 8K matters for home use. 4K barely matters, it just bundled into new stuff by default. Sorry to break it to the CE industry, but they hey-day of upgrading everything to get HD isn't coming around again. I can't imagine anything like that is going to drive sales again. If anything these newer formats are becoming niche as you have a whole generation that just streams content on their tiny little phones. Even with some of this stuff dropping into commodity price ranges, I still can't be bothered to replace a 12yo 32" 720p set I still have around, because it still just works on the rare occasion that I use it.
Quality is more important to some than to others.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
millionjodn