What's new

Effects of high SPL on pets. (1 Viewer)

Mark Fitzsimmons

Supporting Actor
I noticed this when I was listening to some music today after school. I was playing it around 100db, lots of bass. I think all of the noise kinda scared my dog. So what she does when she is scared is stay near who ever is home for comfort. But because I was the only one home, she came into and stayed in the listening room with me. Kinda puts her in a sticky situation.

Anyone have anything to say on this?

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
my fish don't even seem to notice when the sub is on :)
which is actually surprising since they're so sensitive to pressures

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Our nonhuman companions can lose their hearing due to repeated exposure to loud noise and loud music just as we humans can. Worse, they don't truly understand what's going on and can thus be scared. You should consider this in the future.

My cat does, however, respond with interest to any bird sounds on film soundtracks—and to the bird that can be heard in all performances of Respighi's The Pines of Rome symphonic poem (like me, he prefer's Charles Munch's reading with the New Philharmonia Orchestra, on Decca; Attila likes the bird, and I like the performance).

Jeff Pryor

Supporting Actor
My Border Collie, Trixi, will howl up a storm whenever she hears Chewbacca, but she'll shy away from the sub.

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
What Jack said. Be kind to your cats and dogs and don't play music or movies really loud when they're in the same room. They have much more sensitive hearing than we do. If you insist on cranking up the dB's, start your dog in obedience school and teach it hand signals so it knows how to respond to commands when it can't hear anymore.

Steve Felix

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve Felix
I don't doubt the truth of what's been said in regard to most pets, but my cat, who has excellent hearing (she'll respond to the tiniest noises), isn't fazed at all by HT loudness. When the LFE kicks up, she'll actually walk up to the sub and stick her head in the port. Curiosity, you know...

Edit: Before fearing for my cat, note that I don't crank the sound up very often, and when I do it's virtually never foundation shaking.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My fish and my spiders don't seem to mind, although I tend not to do anything too crazy in loudness. Of course, if I have the Aquaria DVD in, all my fish are pressed against the wall :)

Jay

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My dog Ginger doesn't like massive SPLs so I try to keep a lid on in when she's around. Don't want to scare her or hurt her little ears. :)

Jim_F

Screenwriter
My birds can scream louder than any volume level I would choose. It's not unusual for me to turn around in the middle of a movie and find one or both of them sleeping.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
My dalmation loves to lay right next to the sub when I watch movies.....wierd.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks