What's new

effectiveness of soundproofing construction (1 Viewer)

Hi - for those who have built home theaters with soundproofing in mind, whether it's double drywall, floating ceilings, whatever - and if you are now done and watching movies - how effective were the soundproofing efforts? Can you hear sound outside the HT? One floor away? 2 floors away?
Ron
My Home Theater construction
------------------
My Home Theater

andyg

Agent
With my setup, LFE can be felt one floor above. I have an HT in the basement with only ~7' 6" before construction started, concrete to bottom of above floor joist. To keep enough headroom and keep the CRT high enough I could not build a double ceiling, just your usual strapping with R30 in the ceiling, 1/2" soundboard, 5/8" drywall. Most of the other walls are double walls with 1" air separation between them. If someone yells on the other side of the wall in the quiet HT room, you can just barely hear them. Unfortunately LFE is very hard to keep contained. For the amount of soundproofing I did do, I am very please and surprised at the results.
--Andy Garabedian

Terrence B

Agent
I have found that for my setups, a person could be in the dedicated mixing/music room playing back music at high levels, and another could be in the mixing/screening room next door with a movie at reference levels, and the two never interfere with each other. Once you close the door to each room, you cannot hear a thing.
Terrence

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks