What's new

Effective 4:3 area on widescreen formula?? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Ok, I admit, my geometry skills are escaping me now.....

How do I calculate the effective 4:3 area on a widescreen TV (i.e., if I were to be watching TV material without stretching or zooming)?

When the time comes to replace my 27inch sony, I would like to get a 30 or 34 inch widescreen. I am worried that most of the 34s have speakers or other material on the side of the screen that would not allow me to fit it in my space.

However, I could possibly cut some of the shelving to give more width for the 34.

Also, when getting measurements for 16x9 TVs, are they being quoted on the diagonal or width?

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
Beautiful Vin. Thanks!

A 34 inch 16x9 is equivalent to a 27.8 inch 4:3 TV in Native 4:3 "mode"

A 30 16x9 gets me only 24.5. I think that is not enough for me.

A 32 would be great giving 26.1 (close enough) and would probably come closer to my eventual budget (let alone fit in my cabinet). But I haven't seen anything in the way of 32" 16x9. Seems like only 30s and 34s.

Then again, I have seen some very good strech modes on my neighbor's 42 inch Plasma set and it does it well without distorting or losing too much info, which is just fine for me for TV material. Of course I would rather have the 34 16x9 if I can fit it and afford it.......Big ifs right now.....

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Ok, I admit, my geometry skills are escaping me now.....
More trigonometry than geometry. All you really need to remember is arc-tangents, sines, and cosines -- or rather, how those buttons work on your calculator. SOHCAHTOA. Remember taking that stuff in high school? Remember thinking to yourself, "Now when am I gonna need to know this in my real life?" :)

//Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks