Effect of using amplifier on 2 channels of 7 channel System

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Gerry S, May 29, 2004.

1. Gerry S

Gerry S Stunt Coordinator

Currently I have a Pioneer 53tx, a pair of Energy Veritas 2.4 towers, Veritas 2.0 center, and four Veritas 2.0 surround speakers. I am considering getting 2 Outlaw Model 200 Amplifiers to drive the 2.4's.

I was curious of the pros and cons of using a seperate amplifier for the front left and right speakers when playing 5 or 6 channel soundtracks. Is it best that all speakers be driven from the same amp? Can this in anyway effect the timbre matching, especially between the center and the left/right speakers?

Thanks.

2. Brian Corr

Brian Corr Supporting Actor

The only ill effect is once you hear the mains amplified externally, you'll probably want to do the rest of the channels.
    Timber is a characteristic of the speaker and won't be affected.
    Typically, you will get a cleaner, and more powerful sound.
    You'll level match all the speakers regardless after adding the new amp so there won't be any level differences. Just improvement in the quality of the sound.
    Externally amplifying the mains also may help take some of the load off the amps in the pioneer for the other speakers.

3. Jack N

Jack N Agent

I'm not sure about this, so don't quote me. Personally, I think I'd shy away from mixing amp manufacturers on the same system. The reason being is that each manufacturer likes to use their own power curve - how quickly the power increases when turning up the volume. Obviously, this would complicate balancing the system. I would think you'd end up with a system balanced at a specific output, rather than one that's balanced across the board. I'm currently using 3 different models of amps in my system, but they're all from the same manufacturer so the power curves are quite similar. Maybe somebody who is more knowledgeable in this area will chime in.

4. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

Gerry, I am having hard time deciding on whether to replace my Polk Audio RTI38 with either the Veritas 2.3i, the 2.2i, and the Paradigm Signature S2. How do you like your Veritas 2.4, and did you compare it with the Paradigm models?

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Your 53TX will thank you when you add amps to it, but the Outlaws seem to be a lateral move, especially when you consider how pricey the Veritas are. I'd look for something that would be a noticeable step up...a Rotel RB1080, two 1070s...

I've heard the Veritas series with Bryston and was very impressed. The Outlaw may have more power, but I don't know if they're going to do much more for sonic quality.

6. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

Their output is directly determined by the receiver's preamp output, which is via the receiver's volume control - all channels will increase and decrease the same. Channels with considerably more power may have a slight difference at higher volume, which is why similar or identical amps should be used for, say the main 3 speakers.

7. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

My experience in adding a 2 channel amp to my 9.1 system was definitely a good one. I.m using a Yam RX-V1 as a receiver and added an Acurus 250 to drive the mains. While the V1 is pretty stong itself, the Acurus added to the system by allowing the V1 to use its power to drive the remaining speakers in the system noticibly better. I'd definitely say "go for it".....

8. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Gotta disagree with Drew, sorry. I believe that adding an Outlaw would be a step up from the Pioneer's internal amp. I added my Outlaw to a PE reveiver (before I got my preamp) and noticed a big difference in sound quality. It's all about personal preference I guess, whatever works best for the individual listener is always subjective.