What's new

effect of speaker stands? (1 Viewer)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I recently reconfigured my stereo system (around a newer TV), and I've noticed that my speakers seem to be somewhat muddy, with a hump around 230 Hz (I was using DVE's rattle test, so my reading might not be that accurate.). This is not welcome, and I was wondering what effects (if any) higher mass speaker stands might have.

Receiver is Onkyo TX-SR502.
Main speakers are B&W DM303. (corrected from original posting)
Centre speaker is an LCR-3
Subwoofer is a Dayton ten inch (shouldn't enter into calculations).

Current speaker stands are Omnimount WS-16. They aren't too stable.

Floor is plush carpeted.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Is there any way to weigh the stands down? some stands can be filled with sand or lead shot.

OK i just went to the Circuit City website. Those stands are more cosmetic than functional. You should look at some stand that can be filled with san or lead shot. Stands like this will probably cost closer to the $100 and up range. It is not likely you will find a descent set below $100.

Also if your speakers are to close to the wall it could result in some boominess or if the room is simply to small.

Seth=L

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
The 3 pillar stands don't have the overall mass for a good stand or the capacity for some type of filler. The other looks to be well constructed and a larger capacity for sand or lead shot. Of coarse you won't know the effect it has untill you try them in your own home. Maybe look around a bit more, but those Dayton stands look pretty good and solid.

Seth=L

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I found this review of the "high mass" ones. Luckily, on the 24 inch variant (and seemingly no other), free shipping can be had through partsexpress, though not through their amazon storefront. (And, at 50 lbs, free shipping is very nice.)

So, we'll see...

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
Glad you found what you needed. Did you notice a difference in the way the set up sounded?

Seth=L

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Um, I'm going to have to go with that old audiophile standby: "Improved soundstage". Could be the increased height. The muddiness seems to be gone.

Seth=L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Seth L
I guess that was what the stands were supposed to do, another success

Seth=L

dvboy

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
I just finished making a set of stands for my B&W DM602 S3's and am thrilled with the results.They are made of 1" mdf,and covered with a wood grain finish to match the speaker.Almost looks like a floor standing speaker.They are filled with sand and are ROCK SOLID,weigh a ton,and have really cleaned up the sound compared to my old metal stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks