What's new

Effect of mixing amps on the front soundstage? (1 Viewer)

DaveLenhert

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the process of moving to seperates and I'm in the process of selecting the amps (I already have the ACT-3ABM). Here is my delema, I listen to a 50/50 mix of CDs and DVDs. I want a good pair of monoblocks (~$1500) for the front speakers (Klipsch RF3s) for my classical music listening. To fill out the rest of the HT needs, I need a 3 channel amp (surrounds@RS3s + Center@RC3). The 3 channel amp needs to be fairly economical, say less then $750. However, I'm conserned about the effect on the front soundstage running 2 different type and/or brands of amps. Does anyone have any experience running this type of mixed setup?, What observations did you have on its effects.

Thanks for your info!

-Dave

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I think the effects are quite minimal if properly matched in levels and the amps have similar timber. I have used the Audiosource amp1a (stereo) with a 5.1 (mono-block) for the center for my front LCR (using identical speakers, Nht SuperZeroes) with very good results. Most likely matching amp manufacturer may be the way to go (assuming they voice the amps similarly).

John Beavers

Second Unit
I've got a Plinius 8200P 175wpc 2-ch amp running my mains, and a B&K Ref 7250 200 wpc 5-ch amp running my center and rears. All my speakers are driver matched. On movies it's a fairly seemless tonal match between the two amps. On multichannel music the tonal is still well matched, though I do hear more resolution of musical details from my mains, as should be the case with the more revealing amp in the Plinius doing the duty.

The key here is the "warm" audio characteristic of both brands. Were I to stick a Krell amp in the mix, with either the B&K or the Plinius, the "brightness" of the Krell would highlight the differences between them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks