EFF: "Don't Let Congress Ignore the Broadcast Treaty"

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jeff Jacobson, Sep 23, 2005.

1. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

The Broadcast Flag: They're at it again.
    From EFF

2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I might be walking on eggshells here, but I think that article has a few problems - or at the least, some info missing from it.

As an example, ABC has the broadcast rights to air 'LOST.' If they decide that you can't record it, who is going to stop them?

What this does is puts you in front of the tube for shows when they are broadcast. I have already seen messages on my TIVO saying that I can't make a second recording of a certain show, and that recording of this show isn't permitted.

As for the Internet, I am going to assume they are talking about people downloading 'Lost' from some site. We DO know that isn't legal. Right or wrong is another matter, but if they hold the copyright to it, it belongs to them, and they can do whatever they want.

However, if they pull this shit on a massive scale I'm really going to be P.O.'ed!

Glenn

3. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Stations/networks would just be hurting themselves by doing this. If I can't record shows, I'll have to watch less, especially where 2 I want to see are on at the same time. This would be a great way to make it harder to launch new shows.