EFE technology T-22

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JessPrice, Aug 5, 2003.

1. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

I am very nervous about taking the plunge into buying these speakers from Ed. I originally set out to find speakers in the $600/pair range, looking at B&W 602 and Paradigm bookshelf speakers. I have talked with Ed and read a lot of reviews by his customers (one ever said they were better than his paradigm studio 100's) and now it has seriously caught my attention. I just don't know yet.

Has anybody tried these speakers out on here, and what are your impressions?

2. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

Although I think your thread is very irresponsible in that it accuses a very good speaker maker of running a scam, and accused members of this site of being fakes, I will try to respond to it because I believe that it needs a response.

I should start by saying that I have not heard the specific speakers you mention. But after a lot of research, and listening to a lot of speakers, I decided to make the trip to Ed's home near San Diego to listen to his speakers first-hand. I dragged my wife along too, much to her dismay as she does not care about speakers.

Both I and my wife were blown away by EFE's speakers. Neither of us had heard anything as good in any similar price range. My wife was so impressed, that she ok'd my buying 3 of Ed's T-22CF speakers and 2 of his T-36 speakers. I later received them by the promised time, in great condition, and they look and sound great. A number of people who have heard the speakers at my house are now thinking of ordering some for themselves.

Given my initial reluctance to buy internet speakers without hearing them, and the fact that Ed Frias is simply a nice guy with a great product, I have since tried to spread the word about EFE speakers whenever possible. I am a convert. And given that my enthusiasm for EFE speakers has led at least one person to question whether I am in Ed's employ, maybe I have hurt his business. I hope not.

But I have nothing to do with Ed. I have no interest in his company (other than wanting to buy his top of the line T-60 speakers, but they are $4,500 a pair and way out of my price range even though they sound as good as $30,000 a pair speakers I have heard). But run a search on me or any of the other people who have posted good reviews of EFE speakers. You should notice that we have posted on any number of topics other than EFE speakers and that we are not hired hacks.

I simply believe that you can't get a better speaker for the money (though you might get as good a speaker from some other internet company such as GR Research or Rutledge but I have not heard their speakers).

I hope that resolves this issue. Probably not.

3. JessPrice

4. Dale B

Dale B Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jess. Look at audio review under Bic speakers and you can see where alot of people have sent their Bic crossovers to Ed to redo them. When they got them back they were really happy with the vast improvement.

5. JessPrice

Are Ed's speakers the same as his DIY kit, just with a nicer looking cabnit and an improved crossover?

6. Debbie_L

Debbie_L Stunt Coordinator

Hi Jess,

To answer your question directly above: no, Ed's DIY kit speaker is a whole different animal from the speakers he builds himself under the EFE name. Ed posted the plans for the DIY speaker on audioreview (free of charge) so that anyone with the inclination to build their own high quality speakers could do so at a very reasonable cost. Ed will also build this kit for you, but the price he charges is about twice the cost of the kit when you build it yourself -- not a bad deal, after all, his time is certainly worth something!

The DIY kit aside, Ed's EFE speaker line uses different drivers, cabinets, etc. and they cost considerably more than the DIY. I am surprised Ed did not mention this when the two of you talked -- if you should talk with him again, I am sure he can explain the difference to you in detail.
    Debbie

7. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I understand the nervousness one goes through when dipping one's toes into the water for the first time with internet only companies, especially one as obscure as EFE, but I've noticed enough postings about his speakers over the last year or so that I would have no hesitancy about buying his product whatsoever. Maybe I'm too trusting. Maybe I see the risk/reward as weighing heavily in favor of the reward side. Maybe I'm naive. All I know is that I consider my recent internet only brand speakers one of the best decisions I've ever made. While not as obscure as EFE's, the brand I bought does not seem to have nearly as much word of mouth as the Axioms, Rockets, and Ascends. But, I'm so overjoyed with the speakers that I've already ordered more from the manufacturer.

8. Jason_Me

Jason_Me Stunt Coordinator

9. Dax M

Dax M Auditioning

Oh boy...not this again. If you wish, see the other side of the story over on the DIY forum at audioreview.com. I hate to see this inane argument come up again. PLEASE don't let this turn into another argument thread, it's already been done on those other forums. Danny loves for the measurements to be exact; Ed likes to listen to the speakers to make sure they sound good as well. They have 2 philosophies.
    Yes, I own the DIY's. And, yes I like the way they sound. That's where it should be left. Danny doesn't like the sound, that's his opinion. You really don't know if you're going to like the sound until you hear it. How does it go...'Opinions are like....'

10. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

I am pretty skeptical of EFE myself. No, I don't think there is any type of scam, but I haven't seen anything that indicates EFE is anything more than a very accomplised DIY'r. Where is the website? Where is the catalog? What are his policies? There is NOTHING wrong with that, as long as you know that's what you are into. Were you in California and could personally visit Ed..OK, less of a gamble. If not, I think its a bit of a wager. DIY type speakers can be menationed among the best...and they can be not so good....

IMHO, flame suit on since EFE customers tend to be fanatical, If you are open to an internet direct model, www.audioc.com has much more to offer in terms of established support and information and customer base and professional reviews.

And this is an appropriate place to talk about EFE...the poster asked about them and should get full disclosure even if someone else has been through a debate in other places.

11. Torgny Nilsson

Torgny Nilsson Second Unit

This will be my last post on this thread. But I wanted to clarify that Ed does not have any Internet site, or at least did not when I bought my speakers. When I emailed him for information, he sent me an electronic catalog with photos, links to reviews, etc.

I believe he has retired young from a very busy career and is uninterested in starting and running a big speaker and audio component business. He has designed some amazing products, including the most accurate surround sound decoder I have heard, but seems inclined to have the business as a hobby rather than a second career. Hence, he does not seem interested in expanding his business and EFE's advertising and sales are all word of mouth from satisfied customers.

12. Dax M

Dax M Auditioning

Yeah, just email him at EFESPKRS@aol.com and he'll send you a Word file I believe with his lineup.

I'm not a customer of his and don't plan on being one because I don't have that kind of money. I did build his DIY, but i'm not a fanatic and i'm not on an evangelical crusade to spread EFE love. I just don't like to see only one side of the picture shown.

E-mail him and ask if he is willing to set up some sort of trial to listen to them in your own house. That's about the only thing you can do to make an honest judgement about them. Good luck, and post a review of whatever you end up buying!