Hardware Review Eero 2nd Generation Review: Now Twice As Powerful! On Top Of The Connectivity Revolution

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The problem I see is that my current router won’t die and give me a good excuse to buy fancy new toys with WiFi 6 that I don’t otherwise need. :D
LOL - That's a problem I have pretty much across the board. Prices for consumer electronics are so enticingly low these days. Meanwhile my 10 year old Samsung 65" flat screen refuses to die so that I can replace it with something contemporary.

Reactions: DaveF

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Real Name
Clint
LOL - That's a problem I have pretty much across the board. Prices for consumer electronics are so enticingly low these days. Meanwhile my 10 year old Samsung 65" flat screen refuses to die so that I can replace it with something contemporary.
I feel your pain John. I’m living with a 50” 720p plasma that refuses to die. I want a 65-70” 4K QLED or OLED but that old Panasonic keeps on going.

Reactions: John Dirk and DaveF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
If you have internet only (no tv) Verizon can switch your ONT to work with Ethernet instead of coax and you don’t need their router. If you have Verizon tv too, you’re stuck with using their router and either have to put your gateway eero in bridge mode, or double NAT your gateway eero (which is what I do with mine, although I don’t have Verizon).
I have Verizon Fios television. I don't use their boxes (I use Tivo) with a coax connection to each Tivo device.

Do I still need the Verizon router?

I am just wondering if I would get better speeds getting rid of the Verizon router and plugging an ethernet connection directly into the gateway eero.

I could also put it in BRIDGE mode. However, I am wondering if all that effort gives any noticeable speed increase?

I am on track to buy a new eero Wifi 6 Pro system by Q1 of 2021. Just waiting for Apple to release a compatible Macbook Pro.

Right now, I have 5 eero devices in my home as it's multi-level (5 floors) and there's a lot of floor coverage.

I am hoping that the improved performance of Wifi 6 will allow me to go from 5 devices to just 3 and get an improved performance level.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have Verizon Fios television. I don't use their boxes (I use Tivo) with a coax connection to each Tivo device.

Do I still need the Verizon router?

I am just wondering if I would get better speeds getting rid of the Verizon router and plugging an ethernet connection directly into the gateway eero.

… You can get ethernet from the ONT for Internet and also coax for TV going to cable box (or cable card).

that’s how I do it. I use my Apple router, no FIOS router, and coax to the TiVo [cablecard]

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Thank you, Dave.

Okay, so I don't need the Verizon router.

I'll ditch the router when I switch to WiFi 6 eero

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So long as you have ethernet from the Verizon FIOS box into your home. (Otherwise, you do need the Verizon router to also service as the bridge from coax to ethernet. Or you need a network-engineer friend to get you a coax-ethernet bridge.)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Okay, another question...

Does WiFi 6 have greater range capability?

Whereas I had 5 present eero WiFi hubs in my home, I could get the same coverage with 3 WiFi 6 hubs?

And while we can debate the need for 5 in the first place, I had the need for many direct ethernet connections on different floors of my home.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Okay, another question...

Does WiFi 6 have greater range capability?

Whereas I had 5 present eero WiFi hubs in my home, I could get the same coverage with 3 WiFi 6 hubs?

And while we can debate the need for 5 in the first place, I had the need for many direct ethernet connections on different floors of my home.
Possibly better coverage for WiFi6 devices, but the range for non-WiFi6 will likely be the same. You may want to go with the three-pack of the newer eero routers first and see how they work, but hold on to the five eeros you have now and possibly add some of them to your network and see how it goes, and then if needed buy more individual eeros or another three-pack if you find that coverage is not adequate. The nice thing is that the new eeros are backwards compatible with the older ones, so one scenario may be to place two of the older ones at the outer fringes of your coverage area that do not need WiFi6. Just a thought....

Reactions: DaveF

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Possibly better coverage for WiFi6 devices, but the range for non-WiFi6 will likely be the same. You may want to go with the three-pack of the newer eero routers first and see how they work, but hold on to the five eeros you have now and possibly add some of them to your network and see how it goes, and then if needed buy more individual eeros or another three-pack if you find that coverage is not adequate. The nice thing is that the new eeros are backwards compatible with the older ones, so one scenario may be to place two of the older ones at the outer fringes of your coverage area that do not need WiFi6. Just a thought....
Todd, that is a great idea. As long as the older (current) models don't slow down the rest of the network this is a viable workaround.

Reactions: Todd Erwin

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Not pro units, but still, a good deal for anyone not needing WiFi 6.

I am grumbling under my breath that I am going to be paying $600+ for a new mesh system within the next 6 months. However, it's the necessity that comes with these advancements in technology.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
And now I am just hearing about Wifi 6E which these new eeros don't support and Apple is not supposed to incorporate into their new phones until allegedly next year.

Should I wait (on the eeros that is)?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The more thought I put to this, the more I think I am going to wait on WiFi 6.

WiFi 6E will be the next big thing and it's so much faster than standard 6.

The new Eeros do not support it. I am not going to spend $600+ this year only to spend it again in another year or two when mesh systems come out that support the new standard.

If it were a simple software update to WiFi 6, all of this would be much easier.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
The more thought I put to this, the more I think I am going to wait on WiFi 6.

WiFi 6E will be the next big thing and it's so much faster than standard 6.

The new Eeros do not support it. I am not going to spend $600+ this year only to spend it again in another year or two when mesh systems come out that support the new standard.

If it were a simple software update to WiFi 6, all of this would be much easier.
That's probably a wise decision, Ron. If you are not experiencing any issues with your current Wi-Fi setup, there is no real reason to upgrade. WiFi technology changes pretty fast, so chasing upgrades when it's not necessary can lead to a lot of unnecessary expense, and could potentially introduce new technical problems.

Sometimes that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really is true.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
That's probably a wise decision, Ron. If you are not experiencing any issues with your current Wi-Fi setup, there is no real reason to upgrade. WiFi technology changes pretty fast, so chasing upgrades when it's not necessary can lead to a lot of unnecessary expense, and could potentially introduce new technical problems.

Sometimes that old saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" really is true.
Scott,

Unless I am wrong, I believe we have had the current WiFi standard for a very, very long time. I don't remember the standard changing in quite some time.

All of a sudden, we have two emerging technologies happening at nearly the same time. The problem is, the hardware companies are going to take their time going from WiFi 6 to WiFi 6E.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
WiFi 4 (802.11n) was introduced in 2008 and WiFi 5 (802.11ac) was introduced in 2014.

From articles I have read, WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and WiFi 6E (also 802.11ax) have the same bandwidth and speeds, they just work on different frequencies. Is there supposed to be a huge difference between them other than 6 works on 2.4 and 5GHz bands and 6E only works on 6 GHz?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Real Name
Clint
I’m not too worried about the shift from ac to ax. My WiFi is more than sufficient for my needs and my 2nd generation eero pros are providing adequate whole-home coverage.

A368A589-9B37-4C45-8FCA-E3F1D9510F19.jpeg

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Clinton,

We are almost equal.

I have a 1GB Fiber connection coming into the home with about 20 devices accessing the wireless portion of the network.

My WiFi speed is 280Mbps.

That's pretty impressive, though, in reality, I would love to reach above 600Mbps in wireless if that is possible.

I would also like to know the advantages of Wifi 6E over Wifi 6 before even considering the new eero units.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gerani53