What's new

Hardware Review Eero 2nd Generation Review: Now Twice As Powerful! On Top Of The Connectivity Revolution (2 Viewers)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Don‘t know which kit I’d buy. Eero 6 three pack is affordable at $279. But it’s got two beacons which don’t have ethernet ports. The 6 Pro trio does, but it’s $600; too spendy for me for home WiFi. (Edited, had wrong price earlier)

Fortunately my current WiFi setup is good, so I’m not pressed to upgrade.

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quick note, the verge is wrong on pricing. The $279 bundle isn’t three Eero 6 routers. It’s a router and two extenders. There isn’t yet, that I’ve found, a bundle for three “6” routers.
These products are available for preorder starting today from Amazon, and they’ll launch November 2nd. You can get a pack of two Eero 6 routers for $199, or three for $279. A two-pack of Eero Pro 6 routers will cost $399, or you can get three together for $599.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Don‘t know which kit I’d buy. Eero 6 three pack is affordable at $279. But it’s got two beacons which don’t have ethernet ports. The 6 Pro trio does, but it’s $500; too spendy for me for home WiFi.

Fortunately my current WiFi setup is good, so I’m not pressed to upgrade.

6 pro trio is 599 not 500 right? At $500 I’m in.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am looking forward to upgrading to WiFi 6 and purchasing a slew of these Eeros, but not until I have more compatible devices in my home.

I am assuming iPhone 12 will support the format. However, I would need new Macbooks and iPads as well. In other words, I still have time and I am not necessarily in need of a speed increase at this point. With my current eero setup with 1GB fiber, I am getting speeds of 250mbps WiFi. Now take into account I have well over a dozen devices connected to WiFi (Cameras, Alexa hubs, Tivo devices, etc.) so I realize my WiFi speed will be decreased considerably with all that usage.

The big mistake I made was buying my Verizon Fios router. I was tired of giving them monthly payments to rent. Now that router is basically outdated.

Now Verizon rents/sells a WiFi 6 router. I am hoping I can bypass that router and plug the main ethernet into my Eero.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
6 pro trio is 599 not 500 right? At $500 I’m in.
You’re right $600. I had it right. Then edited wrongly getting confused by the old pro 3 pack. Amazon search system really fails it when dealing with its own new products.

Introducing Amazon eero Pro 6 tri-band mesh Wi-Fi 6 system with built-in Zigbee smart home hub (3-pack)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What I want is an eero6 router 3-pack for $299 (vice three individual units for $387).

I suppose I might consider an eero 6 pro 3-pack for $499, like Sam says, if it ever goes on sale.

But I'm currently on a base station and an extender with sufficient home coverage. So if/when I upgrade, I might go with two eero 6 routers. But while my house is under 3000 sq ft, it's long, narrow, and three stories. I'm guessing three units would be more optimial than two for my space.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I am not against what you guys are doing as far as upgrading your Eeros.

I plan to do the same thing when the time is right.

I am just wondering, at the moment, what devices you actually own that are WiFi 6 compatible?

You could buy your Eeros tomorrow and you would certainly have faster Internet, but none of your devices would respond to that increase in speed.

At least that is how I understand the situation at the moment.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Question...

I have my main Eero running off of my Verizon Fios router.

I believe that is how the instructions originally suggested hooking it up.

Do I need to run it off a router or does Eero act as a router on its own?

The problem I have at the moment is that I have coax coming into the house and to the router so for me, I am going to have to buy a WiFi 6 router on top of the Eeros, I am assuming.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
If you have internet only (no tv) Verizon can switch your ONT to work with Ethernet instead of coax and you don’t need their router. If you have Verizon tv too, you’re stuck with using their router and either have to put your gateway eero in bridge mode, or double NAT your gateway eero (which is what I do with mine, although I don’t have Verizon).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I am not against what you guys are doing as far as upgrading your Eeros.

I plan to do the same thing when the time is right.

I am just wondering, at the moment, what devices you actually own that are WiFi 6 compatible?

You could buy your Eeros tomorrow and you would certainly have faster Internet, but none of your devices would respond to that increase in speed.

At least that is how I understand the situation at the moment.
I don’t have any eeros yet. I’ve got an Apple AirPort Extreme base station and a bridged airport express. want to upgrade, but current gear works fine so no rush. I’m upgrading iPhones and maybe iPads this year. So that will give me WiFi 6 gear, I think.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If you have internet only (no tv) Verizon can switch your ONT to work with Ethernet instead of coax and you don’t need their router. If you have Verizon tv too, you’re stuck with using their router and either have to put your gateway eero in bridge mode, or double NAT your gateway eero (which is what I do with mine, although I don’t have Verizon).
Not necessarily. You can get ethernet from the ONT for Internet and also coax for TV going to cable box (or cable card).

that’s how I do it. I use my Apple router, no FIOS router, and coax to the TiVo.

Last edited:

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Not necessarily. You can get ethernet from the ONT for Internet and also coax for TV going to cable box (or cable are).

that’s how I do it. I use my Apple router, no FIOS router, and coax to the TiVo.
That’s good to know. I wasn’t aware it could do both simultaneously.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
The problem I see with WIFI 6 is that the devices that need it the most [IP cameras, etc] tend not to support it, even in their latest iterations. It's hard to find IP cameras that offer 5Ghz support, let alone WIFI 6.

I've gone through the trouble and expense of hardwiring pretty much every device in my home that has an Ethernet port, but there's no getting around WIFI for most of the cameras.

Users who are viewing this thread