EE student need Biology?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew S, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

I ultimately plan on going to school to become an electrical engineer after high school, and was wondering if I need biology. I know chemistry, math, etc, are needed, but what about biology? I only ask because monday I start my second semester and my classes are grade 12 chemistry (took 11 this semester), universtiy grade 11 math (take grade 12 math, physics, etc. next year) Grade 11 universtiy english, and computer programming. I have the choice between computers and biology and just wonder if I should take biology. I don't do bad in biology (have an 86 I think), but math/chemistry are more my favourite subjects (88,95). So basically, is biology necessary for electrical engineering? Thanks,
    Andrew

2. Nathan Patrick

Nope. If you are intent on being an EE, probably not. If you decide to eventually go into Biomedical Engineering (grad degree) then Biology might be useful. You would have to take biology classes in college anyway if that was the case. I say take the class that interests you the most. Computers are far closer to EE than biology depending on the end application.

3. Scott Sargent

Scott Sargent Auditioning

As a BSEE, I wasn't required to take an biology classes. It was possible to take them though to fullfill your required science electives.

4. Andrew S

Andrew S Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the replies.
    I'll probably stick with the computers. I do better in computers than in Biology, so I suppose it wouldn't hurt to have a overall better average, which computers will boost.
    Andrew

5. ToddMS

ToddMS Stunt Coordinator

Biology almost definitely isn't needed for EE. I have several friends who are EE and never need biology- ever. However, taking biology might be useful in applying to schools- if you haven't already been accepted to college (I don't know your situation). A college might like to see a good general knowledge of different sciences, or might want to see a specialization in computers, or what not. Look at what ever college you want to attend recommends, and do that. If you are alrady accepted into college, don't waste your time in the bio- computer skills are much more necessary for EE.

Todd

6. Will Pomeroy

Will Pomeroy Stunt Coordinator

I'm at University of Ottawa, (about an hour away from you) taking ME, and there is no need to take bio. Not that bio is bad, but I would way rather more computer courses under my belt.

7. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Where I am attending (Drexel University, I will be finishing up my EE in about a year) Biology, Chemistry and Physics is required for all Engineering students regardless of your specialty. Though it seems like a bit of a waste if you are going for you EE, I do think it helps to give you a necessary background for future interactions you may have on the job. I found college biology very easy after taking it in high school, so you might want to take it just for some more background in case where you are attending requires the class. Just as a counterpoint, my friends at college who did not take in depth Biology in HS thought it was one of their hardest classes freshman year.

J