What's new

Edwin McCain - Far From Over (1 Viewer)

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
A few years ago Edwin McCain had some radio play from a song called "I'll Be". I picked up his new album a few weeks ago and I can't stop listening to it. One review called him the "Springsteen on the other side of the Mason-Dixon Line". I agree, but I would add a little Mark Knopfler. The other plus this album has is it wasn't compressed all to hell for radio play.
------------------
HT pictures

Sean Cauley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm a big fan of this album, too. There's some really good songwriting on there, although a couple of the songs are kind of weak ("Jesus He Loves Me" is basically the "Footsteps in the sand" wallhanging paraphrased). I'm an Edwin fan, so I can take a couple of clunkers with the good stuff.
My personal favorites are "Sun Will Rise," which is just a simple, straightforward guitar pop song, "Radio Star," which is just plain funny, and the jazzy "One Thing Left to Do."
If you get a chance, see Edwin in concert; it's usually a fun show. He mostly plays clubs and smaller outdoor venues, so there's pretty good interaction with the fans. He always has a funny story to tell, and he gives off a vibe of knowing just how lucky he is to have the job of rock musician. His band's full of talented (if workmanlike) musicians who really fill out the sound.
His previous albums are HONOR AMONG THIEVES (which features "Solitude," a duet with Hootie & the Blowfish's Darius Rucker), MISGUIDED ROSES (which features "I'll Be") and MESSENGER (which includes the Diane Warren-penned "I Could Not Ask for More" and an acoustic "I'll Be"). They're all worth a look, but my favorites are the first album (HONOR...) and FAR FROM OVER.

Rutledge

Stunt Coordinator
He's a pretty good guy too. I think he is from my hometown of Chas. SC either that or he just hangs around here a lot.
He was almost dropped by his record label, but seems to always pull off a good song and sell some records.

Ray R

Stunt Coordinator
I'm into Gov't Mule and Edwin seems to travel in the same circles as them. In fact Edwin has a few songs on a benefit concert CD called Wintertime Blues. The CD is full of musicians that just love to play.
------------------
HT pictures

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks