What's new

Edward Scissorhands Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
It's no secrete that this is my favorite film and when I heard it was headed to Blu, I was ecstatic. Well, it arrived yesterday and I watched it last night.

The image quality is excellent with bright, vibrant colors, a very clean, sharp and detailed image and deep blacks. Only a couple of outdoor scenes looked a bit soft and grainy. Other then that, a fantastic image.

As for the sound. My BD-P1000 cannot do DTS-HD so I was stuck with the DD track which was a noticeable upgrade over the SD-DVDs DD track. One stand out moment, when Peg was on the phone with the Avon boss, you are able to clearly make out what the Avon boss was saying.

If you are a fan of this film there's no question that this is worth the upgrade.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
This is on its way to me, and I am looking forward to watching it again, for the first time in HD. Unfortunately, my Pioneer Elite PRO-FHD1 is in the shop, so it might be awhile. :frowning: I feel like I'm missing an arm without my monitor. So sad. ;)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
Love this movie and watched it on release day!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

The music is my favorite and I hear excerpts in so many other movies ("Nightmare Before Christmas" anyone?;)). Can't listen to it in DTS HD 4.0 MA (lossless), because the PS3 doesn't have it (yet?:rolleyes), but it sounds so beautiful in DTS-HD anyway.:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
If Ron P says it looks good, that's pretty much a guarantee!

:)

Now if we can just get "Nightmare Before Christmas" out...!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Just got my new Sony 60" SXRD, I will be picking this title up for viewing ASAP!

I've spent the last four hours just looking at several BDs just to revel in the 1080p goodness! :D

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Ron, you should be able to play the core of the DTS track which would still be 1.5m/s, more than double the bitrate of the DD track you listened to.

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I didn't think this release was all that impressive. 25GB single layer disc with a MPEG-2 transfer -- looked very soft in places, like too many of Fox's "1st gen" BD discs from a year ago. People love to rag on Universal's HD-DVD catalog titles but at this point they're more consistent than this new batch of releases from Fox.

Regrettably this one was closer in quality to ROBOCOP than the MPEG-4 AVC-encodes (FROM HELL and THE FLY) Fox released that are noticeably superior last week.

Robert George

Screenwriter

I agree. There is greater image density than the DVD so the image holds up better on large screen projection (106" in my case), but this is far from the quality I hoped for. A very "average" looking disc, and I don't mean an average of other Blu-ray discs. I man very average for HD in general. Rather below average compared to most other Blu-ray discs.

Robocop? Well, don't even get me started on that POS.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I did not know that, thanks Jeff.

Is it the best out there, no, could it have been better, yes. Is it better then the SD, by far. There are soft spots which I fail to understand why. But over all, I thought the image looked fantastic on my 85". The majority of the image was clean, sharp, and very detailed with great colors.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Wow, what a difference of opinions! After reading this review I am surprised to read the reviews here. It seems like we're getting a lot more disagreement than we did 10 years ago in terms of what is a good release and what isn't.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Everyone has their own opinion. While reviews are fun to read I only trust my own.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm sort of stuck on this.

Certainly a favorite of mine, but if the DVD transfer holds up
better on a larger screen I think I'll save my money for another
Blu-Ray title.

Robert George

Screenwriter

No, what my comments were meant to say is that the Blu-ray has greater image density so that holds up better with large screen projection.

Back to my previous post, of course the Blu-ray of Edward Scissorhands is superior to the DVD, and is certainly not going to be mistaken for standard def by anyone that knows what they are looking for. But, this disc has every appearance of being an older, off-the-shelf transfer that was used rather than something newer and optimized for BD. There are many newer transfers, even of much older film elements, that look considerably better than Fox's BD of Edward Scissorhands.

Perhaps a good comparison is to look at some of the more average looking Universal catalog titles. That will give you an idea what to expect here.

mogwai

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason
I love this film. Hell, I love almost any Burton film. I haven't yet bought the Blu-Ray disc, but this DVDBeaver review (dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews33/edward_scissorhands_blu-ray.htm) is more than enough to convince me to double-dip.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Sold! I've been re-watching my Blu Rays now that I have a new 60" SXRD set and the differences between BD and DVD have never been so apparent (my previous set was a 47" 2001 Panny HD set did not do BD anywhere near the justice it deserves). That DVD Beaver review is eye opening!

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Didn't know DVDbeaver started reviewing HDM. That's great news. :emoji_thumbsup:

Looks like I might be picking up Edward after all. I probably would've pre-ordered if not for Fox's high prices.

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I bought it yesterday at Best Buy and while I was disappointed with it being encoded in MPEG-2 on a single layer I was extremely impressed with the results. I don't think AVC on a 50 gig disc would've made a huge difference. It's so sharp and crystal clear without looking filtered. There is some dirt and a little jittering during the beginning but it never took away from my enjoyment. Easily one of the best catalogue titles I own on BD.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I've only read two negative reviews on this title so far and there both from this thread. Those screens shots are pretty darn close to the actual image, but, the actual image is better.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
I picked up the BD version of the film and had a chance to watch it over the weekend. All I can say is that I agree with the positive reviews on this release. The detail was very good, and the colors popped (as they should with this film) from the screen. I had not seen this film for many years and forgot how much I really enjoyed it. I have a real soft spot for the scenes with Vincent Price. If you like this film, you will not be disappointed with this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks