What's new

Educating Public on Pan&Scan (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading in a thread a while ago, how many people thought putting a little info blurb at the beginning of DVDs would be a good solution.

Today while watching a commercial, I thought why not air some TV commercials that show the difference between Widescreen and Pan&Scan. Does anyone here think there is even a remote chance we could convince a major studio, Blockbuster, or some retail chain to air such a commercial?

I guess this is really all a bit beside the point. Also reading in that thread that DVD has within its' format the ability to hold both formats by simply adding flags to a widescreen version really pissed me off (I always wondered why DVD players had that pans&scan and letterbox option for 4:3 tvs, never did anything when I changed it). If all the studios would just add the flags to their releases both us and J6P could be happy. We have that petition going to BlockBuster to make sure they carry the widescreen versions. Why aren't we pushing the studios to use the DVD format's full capabilities to keep both camps happy?

NeilEdwards

Stunt Coordinator
There is an excellent demonstration on P&S on the Die Hard DVD. They actually show how it is done ... and what is lost in the process.

Dean Cooper

Supporting Actor
widescreen.jpg

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
When I started writing my post I was in the mind set that we should make sure everyone watches widescreen.

Part way through I changed my mind. No matter how hard we try, some people just won't get it, or will still like Pan & Scan better. That lead me to my last paragraph. Instead of first concentrating on educating the public, I think we should be concentrating on getting the studios to produce DVDs that take full advantage of the DVD format's capabilities to keep both camps happy. If all DVDs where widescreen and had the flags so that players could covert them to Pan&Scan on the fly this wouldn't even be an issue anymore. After we have OAR protected for us that do get it, we can then start to educate the public. Hell, I guess we could do both.

I'll be adding a link to your little flash demo to my webpage Joshua.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks