Educate me on coffee!

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DustinLC, May 26, 2004.

1. DustinLC

DustinLC Supporting Actor

Been a drinker all my life. It's not that I like coffee, I need the caffeine. At Starbuck, I usually get frap. At home in the morning, I drink those instant coffee.

So questions:

What's the difference between coffee and espresso coffee. I had a conversation once and said, "hey this coffee is good" and the guy said, you mean espresso.

Which kind is the strongest as far as caffeine?

What's a shot? Is it standardize? A shot of espresso from starbuck is the same as somewhere else. Is a shot of coffee the same as espresso coffee or there's no such thing as a shot of coffee?

Call me party pooper but all these fancy names drive me nuts. All I want is my dose of caffeine without the fancy French [​IMG].

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

3. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Espresso is made from beans that have been very heavily roasted, so they are very dark. It is made by forcing steam through very finely ground espresso-roasted beans Neither the roasting process nor the extraction process increases the caffeine content. Espresso is typically much more concentrated than American drip coffee, so there is more caffeine per oz. But the servings are much smaller.

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

When I was on my european vacation, riding on an Italian train. I went to the dining car and thought I would try a "Turkish coffee". I thought it sounded pretty exotic and I like coffee so, "what the hell," I thought.

Little did I know that Turkish coffee is simply coffee grounds put in a cup with boiling water poured over them... then you drink it.

ZOW! What a buzz!

5. Colin Davidson

Colin Davidson Second Unit
    Supporter

Maybe you oughta go with JOLT.

Tons of caffine without the hassle of grinding, brewing etc...etc.

6. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

If you really want a buzz you should try to track down some of that Afri-cola (whatever that is). For pure caffeine-goodness-in-a-can, it looks like a sure bet.

Otherwise you could pop a few Vivarin or No-Doz, however be sure you do not exceed the 50 pill limit or you could be dead.

That link sure was fascinating. . .

7. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I love the taste of espresso, so that's why I drink it. If you really like the buzz, try one of these:

[​IMG]

Double the buzz of a 16oz. stronger drip, slight better buzz than a Red Bull.

[​IMG]
    Literally double the buzz of a Rock*Star. A panic attack in a can. If you can hang, carry on wayward.

[​IMG]
    Despite the smaller can, about the same heart rate as a Rock*Star. One of the more equalized buzzes of the ones mentioned.

Don't like the gentically engineered drinks try:

[​IMG]

The best tasting energy drink out there. Buzz between a Rock*Star and a Monster

[​IMG]

Buzz a tinge less than a Red Bull.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I like the Rock Star drink. There's also one called "Amp" - It's like concentrated Mountain Dew - http://www.ampenergy.com LOL - Crunch crunch crunch! - I remember Jeff Smith (the Frugal Gourmet) pouring coffee grinds over vanilla ice cream as a dessert. BLECH! Imagine the color of your tongue after that!

9. DustinLC

Tai coffee seems strong. What's that about?

10. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    If you have any Vietnamese establishments around, cafe su da is a yummy coffee drink. Nice little buzz to it too. Shake it, sip, shake it, sip...last you an hour.

Dustin,
    Lee's Sandwich
    Richmond District
    8th and Clement....

Lee's has the yummy cafe su da
    This is the same Lee's as what I have down here near my work in Little Saigon.

11. Rob Gardiner

Afri-Cola, Red Bull, and Jolt all have less caffeine per serving than a regular cup of drip coffee.

Dave,

I love Turkish coffee but I think you ended up with a cheap knock-off. This is how I understand it is made:

Traditionally one uses a pot called an "ibrik". It is smaller at the top than at the bottom, in order to catch the water vapor before it escapes (under the hot Turkish sun).

The beans are ground extrememly finely, into a powder. Turkish grind is the only grind finer than espresso.

The grounds are put into the ibrik (or a regular saucepan for us Yankees) with some sugar and cardamom. This is a spice that is sometimes found in coffee cakes and other pastries.

Add water and heat slowly. When it begins to boil, remove it from the heat until it settles. Repeat twice.

Pour the coffee into a little cup (usually I see it served in espresso cups). Most of the grounds should stay in the pot. The finely ground beans form a sort of "sediment" at the bottom of the pot, and most of the liquid should pour off the top.

Over here, I've seen it served with pistachio paste (ground pistachios) or halvah (sweetened ground sesame seeds). I don't know how authentic that part is.

Stop drinking before you hit the grounds at the bottom of the cup. Don't stir, or you will disturb the sediment at the bottom. You should ingest no grounds this way.

Delicious!

12. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

I developed caffeine addiction in college by drinking Pepsi/Coke, never was much of a coffee drinker. I've been on "low caffeine diet" now for a year and I can tell it has made a significant improvement in my life. No more restlessness or sleepless nights. Normally no caffeine during the day but sometimes a can of cola or Dr.Pepper during the workday, that's all I can take anymore.

Thought I'd share my success story with some of you fellow caffeine addicts... [​IMG]

13. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Arggg! A double blasphemer! Instant coffee is to real coffee as Carnation Instant Breakfast is to steak and eggs. In other words, they are not even in the same family.

14. DustinLC

An hour? All day for me [​IMG]. Yeah, those are strong. What's the difference between those and others? Is it because they gave you more shots?

15. Lew Crippen

Have you ever tried a French press? This is almost as fast as instant coffee.

Step one—buy a French press. These come in many sizes—one will be just right for you. Basically these are just glass cylinders with a plunger that fits over the top.

Step two—boil water.

Step three—while the water is heating add as much ground coffee to the French press as suits your taste.

Step four—pour the water into the French press and place the plunger on the top.

Step five—wait 1 or 2 minutes

Step six—depress the plunger (this gets all the grounds to the bottom of the press)

Step seven—pour into your cup or mug.

Step eight—drink the ‘real’ coffee.

This basically takes about the amount of time it takes to boil water plus a couple of minutes.

I am standing square with Jeff in steering you away from the imitation thing.

16. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler

I don't think there are shots. If the Richmond district is near you, try Lee's. They're a steal at $1.50. Or try the yummy Durian smoothie.

Lew, this French press sounds intriguing. I need one. I think.

17. Rob Gardiner

If you use a French press, make sure your grind is VERY coarse or you will get "crunchy goodness" in your coffee. A burr grinder is the tool you need for a consistent grind. Those little $20 coffee/nut/herb grinders are practically useless if using a French press.

18. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

As Lew states, French press coffee is pretty good regular coffee, with the only caveat being it is, well...French!

Me, I'll stick to my espresso. One long shot in the AM and a long shot cap in the PM, with regular drip to drive the brain during the workday.

Second the burr grinder. You might as well use a food processor than try to grind in a blade type spice grinder (calling them coffee grinders is false advertising).

If you are looking for quick and easy, you can get a super-auto espresso maker that will be faster than any instant or drip. Trouble is, they cost a fortune. The entry models start at $400 and they go up to $1500-2000. I have a Saeco Italia, got it for around $695. It will measure, grind, tamp, pull the shot and dispose of the leftover "coffee puck" at the push of a button. Takes about 30 seconds after a 2 minute warmup time. Total time for me to make espresso in the morning - 2 1/2 minutes, most of which I spend putting my shoes on.

19. Lew Crippen

[​IMG]

I can’t believe I’m about to write this (but one step at a time—first get away from instant).

You can grind the beans at the store on the coarsest setting. Store the ground coffee in an airtight container to retain as much freshness as possible.

And a French press is very cheap.

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Hoo boy, that Turkish coffee is good shit.