EDTV vs HDTV question

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Ted Lee, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

not sure if i get the main diff between the two. i know ed has a lower pixel count, but does it still display 1080i/720p?

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

No, EDTV has the same resolution as NTSC and is just a fancy word for "the same as your regular TV except it can display 480p". Thus, 480p is the most an EDTV can display, if a TV can display 1080i/720p, it is by definition an HDTV.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

that's what i thought as well, but i could *swear* i read/heard somewhere that an edtv is capable of doing hd resolution....oh well. thx!

4. Mort Corey

Mort Corey Supporting Actor

An EDTV will display an HD signal (often quite well) but at the panels' native 480p resolution. It is claimed that at a ten foot viewing distance, the PQ will pretty darn close on an ED unit to a true HD unit both being fed a 1080i signal.

Mort

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Like Mort said, most EDTVs can display HD signals, they just have to convert the signal into their native 480p resolution first.

Jeff, being able to display an HD signal does not make a display an HD display. Being able to display an HD signal at either 720p, 1080i, or greater makes it an HD display.

6. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

so, essentially a edtv is "downconverting" a 1080i/720p signal to 480p.

i guess that, since it's not doing 1080i/720p -- that's why they're only calling it edtv?

i would agree with this. we have hd and ed right next to eachother and the pic quality is really close. considering the ed is about 1500-2000 less ... it's certainly a viable option.

7. Tyson Wetzel

Tyson Wetzel Stunt Coordinator

I agree EDTV is a good choice for many people as it looks about as good as NTSC can look, looks great on DVD and can display HD programming. So, while it is not have the resolution to be called HD, it will not be obsolete when HD is more available.

8. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Maybe what your thinking about was that on the older Samsung EDTV's you could get into the Service Menu & change it to 1080i (HDTV). But Samsung put a stop to that as soon as people discovered how to turn 1080i "On" along with turning "On" P-I-P & etc.

9. Jonathan_Clarke

Jonathan_Clarke Second Unit

it seems that EDTV is made for dvd which is exactly what led me to it.