Edits on B&B: The Mike Judge Colleciton

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kevin Martinez, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez Second Unit

I'm not Joking.

As if it wasn't enough of a slap in the face that Mike Judge isn't going to make 1/3 of all B&B episodes available, to add injury, some of the so-called "Director's cut episodes" featured on the DVD ocming out this Tuesfay are actually have footage and lines of dialogue removed from them. Not only are these edits not related to Music Rights or other legal reasons, but most if not all of the afflicted episodes were presented UNCUT on the time Life DVD's.

Source: DVD Talk Forums

Lovely: At Least 5 Of the Episodes (Figure Drawing, Tainted MEat, Held Back, LAte Night With Butthead and 1-900-BEAVIS) are edited and have nothing added to them.

Seriosuly, this is easily to biggest disappointed of the Year. Worse than Tom and Jerry, Ren and Stimpy, and the Muppet show Combined. Mike Judge Should be Locked up and never be allowed to so muc has touch another DVD again.

2. Kevin Martinez

Aside from The Edits, The Video Quality is nothing to write home about, as the episodes look subpar, and there are pixelation issues (Aliasing?)

3. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Usually where there's smoke there's fire but has this been confirmed by anyone yet? Just because one person says it doesn't make it true. I'm not saying it's not true but I want to hear verification before taking it as the truth.

Although I'm sure there's 50 reviews on Amazon saying that it's edited despite having not seen it yet.

4. Kevin Martinez

Yes it has. The Verisons on the Mike Judge collection were compared to the verisons on the Time Life DVD's

5. Chuck Dowling

I'm that person.

I have a review copy of the set and was comparing the Director's Cuts to the episodes that were on the Time Life DVDs, thinking I'd get to see what was added back into the episodes. My thoughts were that these "director's cuts" were going to add back in the stupid little things that MTV pressured them to take out.

Instead, nothing has been added (save for some extended still shots of the animation to pad out some of the running time), and dialogue has been removed. In one example, on the episode "Late Night with Butt-head", the first 90 seconds of the episode are missing.

6. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Chuck, it was nothing personal but one kook posting a lie and someone just copying and pasting it on another board is how BS rumors start. Can you be more specific with what is missing? Beyond 'Late Night...' that you mentioned, are we talking about entire scenes, lines of dialogue, or shots missing from each of the other episodes?

Personally, I took the term 'director's cut' to be nothing more than a marketing tool and never expected them to have anything added in. I did expect them to be the original cuts of the episodes though.

7. Chuck Dowling

* 1-900-BEAVIS - On the Time Life disc, when the boys first make the phone call, they laugh and Butthead says "She said something" and they continue to laugh. On the Paramount disc, this line is omitted.

During the call the lady asks if they're there, and on the Time Life disc Butthead says "I think I just innoculated" (which is kinda funny actually). This line is removed in the Director's Cut.

Then at the end, the last line in the Time Life version is "Hey, maybe we'll hear some butt wind." This is removed from the Director's Cut.

* Late Night with Butthead - The new Director's Cut removes the first minute and a half of this episode, starting instead where B&B pitch the idea for their talk show. It removes Letterman's cameo voice appearance. Later, the director's cut removes B&B celebrating with some air guitar after successfully pitching their show.

* Figure Drawing - The DC removes a line where their teacher says he's about to teach a class on Aroma Therapy. Three or four lines are then cut after B&B rearrange the letters on the sign. Several other dialogue cuts throughout. No additions.

* Held Back - The DC removes the lines "This desk is giving me a stiffy" and "I don't even have room for a stiffy".

* Tainted Meat - The DC removes a bit from the middle of a news broadcast talking about "a fierce new parasite" in regards to Beavis making everyone sick at Burger World.

8. Jay_B!

Jay_B! Screenwriter

that is a real ripoff. I love Beavis And Butt-Head too, such a shame they had to eff this set up [​IMG]

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Oh yuck. I may cancel my Amazon order now. Hopefully they'll still keep my Batman Begins 2-disc at the same price.

10. WillG

WillG Producer

Now Paramount can eventually release the "It's Really Uncut This Time" edition of Beavis and Butthead as they seem to be doing with Ren and Stimpy

11. Andrew Radke

Andrew Radke Screenwriter

Andrew Radke
    I was really looking forward to this set until I heard that only 2/3 of the B&B cartoons would be released. This news about cut episodes is definitely the icing on the cake. No sale on both counts. It's a shame. I was looking forward to retiring my VHS collection.

12. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Has anyone contacted anyone regarding this?

13. John*D

John*D Second Unit

[​IMG] Looks like I'll pass...

I wanted to get this but the review on DVDtoons (regarding the PQ) and now this about the EDITS will keep my money in my wallet!

ps. - they should just PULL THIS FROM THE SHEVLES next week like they did w/ the history of Butt-Head and actually FIX the problems like the EDITS and the picture quality.

14. Kevin Martinez

I just realized sometihng. Gord Lacey's original report on the Mike Judge Collection set mentioned that the Directior's cuts will be "Different from broadcast, but not necessarily longer". They're sure different all right.

Something tells me that if Mike Judge ever responds about the edits, he will be using this as a crutch to avoid blame.

15. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

If they said that the episodes are "different from the broadcast but necessarily longer", wouldn't that be the reason and not a crutch?

It doesn't seem like anything like Beavis saying "Fire" or violence was dropped. It seems to me that the things that are removed were edited due to whatever Mike Judge looked back at and changed. Moreso than editing it for content.

16. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

I think MTV has been up front with this set; they say right on the packaging that there are 23 director's cut episodes; people are assuming these are longer episodes when they aren't. This is how Mike Judge wanted it released, and it's not anything like the "Uncut" Ren & Stimpy sets which proved to be cut.

As for the picture quality, I think it's fairly decent. There's some dust on the picture (some more than others), but I haven't noticed any of the pixelization the DVDToons review mentions. I'd give it 7/10.

Gord

17. Kevin Martinez

I'm still holding onto my hunch that the Director's Cut thing amounts to merely a case of Semantics.

Remeber how Warner Bros. conviently Described the First Tom and Jerry DVD as being restored and remastered, but not uncut, and the uproar it caused. Imagined how much hoopla would be rasied if a shenanigan like that plagued a highly-prized title like Beavis and Butthead. The Director's cut thing was msot likely a way to cover the asses of MTV and Judge.

That's my opinion and i'm sticking with it.

Not dissimilar to the Muppet Show from earlier this year, some of the people i've talked to are seriosuly considering cancelling their Pre-orders and either hunting down or keeping the Time-Life DVD's (Since the cut footage and dialogue is retained on those sets). And if the less-than-glowing review your-not-so-humble reporter made for Amazon passes through, this could be the most heated DVD ocntroversy after last year's Star Wars DVD.

Edit: Review's up. It should only be a matter of time before the fireworks go off.

18. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Could be, but Judge genuinely seems to dislike a lot of B&B (that's why he won't release all the shorts on DVD), and so it's quite plausible that he might have decided to cut bits he didn't like from even the shorts he did allow to be released.

Of course, whether it's a mistake or the creator's intention doesn't matter much to me: either way I'd rather have the originals.

19. John-M

John-M Stunt Coordinator

You should look for the TimeLife discs on E-Bay and then retire your VHS collection....

20. John-M

John-M Stunt Coordinator

I have a question, I never seen Beavis and Butthead before but does the Lifetime discs have english subtitles or closed captioning? I am curious to see if I will like the show...I ain't buying the Mike Judge edits [​IMG]