Editing video and burning to DVD

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Steve Weeks, May 8, 2005.

1. Steve Weeks

Steve Weeks Stunt Coordinator

I have been using Beyond TV on my HTPC, and it has really changed the way I watch TV. Now I can watch on my own schedule, without Tivo's monthly expense.

I recently installed a DVD burner in my system, and I am looking at using DVD"s to archive some programs, but I have some questions.

What format is most compatable with standalone DVD players? I would like to be able to burn DVD's from my HTPC to watch on a DVD player hooked up to my bedroom TV.

What software is best for editing out comercials so I only save what I want to watch? I am looking for something easy to use, simple and intuitive, also shareware would be ideal, or something with a free trial period.

Any input or suggestions would be greatly welcome.

2. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

I use Ulead Disc Creator exclusively for this. I also have Beyond TV in conjunction with my Haugpauge 250 PCI card. I still have Win TV 2000 on my computer to help with transferring VHS tapes to DVD, but I've configured things in such a way where there is no conflict.

I can burn 2-two hour programs (w/commercials) to a blank DVD at 4x in about 20 minutes. If I take out the commercials, then it takes a little longer, because Ulead has to cut the commercials as it processes.

3. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    Not to hijack this thread, but how do I do what you guys are talking about?

I have a ton of VHS tapes I want to edit and convert to DVD, what do I need program and hardware wise to do this, thanks!!

4. Stephen Orr

Stephen Orr Screenwriter

Haugepauge PVR 250 PCI card will allow you to capture your VHS through RCA plugs directly onto your harddrive, through the included program WINTV 2000. That's what I use for VHS.

5. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Adobe Premier to edit & Pinnacle Studio to master.

DVD-R is more compatible with standalone DVDP's.

6. Mike Williams

Mike Williams Screenwriter

Studio Pinnacle would also suit for editing, as well as mastering, and you'd get it all in one program.

7. Sami Kallio

Sami Kallio Screenwriter

Premier does a much better job at editing and Pinnacle crashes a lot with large files. That why I moved to Premier, I was using Pinnacle for both at first.

8. Pamela

Pamela Supporting Actor

I'm from the Mac side, but I know that Avid has a free version of their software for PC—Avid Free DV 1.6.1. Might be worth looking at since it doesn't cost anything.

9. Gary_E

Gary_E Second Unit

Steve,

I’m not familiar with Beyond TV but I’ll assume you are capturing in MPEG-2 format, which is DVD compliant.
    If so, give TMPGEnc MPEG Editor a try.
    http://www.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/tme.html

It is the fastest and smoothest MPEG editor I’ve ever used. As long as you capture in a DVD compliant format (MPEG-2, 720X480 or 704X480 or 640X480) the process of removing unwanted segments from an hour long file takes less than 10 minutes, including re-encoding the finished file. (It really doesn’t re-encode anything since the starting file is in the proper DVD format.)

VirtualDub, is a freeware .AVI file editor and is one of the smoothest, precise editors around. If you capture as an .AVI, editing with this program is a breeze. The drawback is the edited .AVI file must be converted to MPEG-2 which can take time.
    In the past, MPEG-2 editors were expensive and not user-friendly but TMPGEnc MPEG Editor, although not quite as slick as VirtualDub, is very close.

After removing the unwanted segments, take the finished MPEG-2 file and use a burning program of your choice, such as Nero, to create the DVD.

This is a good source for information about everything from capturing to burning:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/understandsource.htm

Good luck.

Regards,
    -Gary

10. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

640x480 is not DVD-compliant. 352x480 is.