editing home movies from DVD source

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Paul_Nyman, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

A relative gave me 2 DVD's containing old color home movies which they transferred earlier this year. I viewed them and want to find a way to edit the material down for another family project. I'm not sure what I would need to do to get the contents on my harddrive, then what do I need to do to get the material edited down properly and how would I get the edited final project ready as a DVD compliant file to burn.

If you know of any software that you have used please let me know. I know how to capture stuff via firewire from old VHS source, but this is already on a DVD. Where to begin.

Thank you

2. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfie
    Try Roxio 7 Media Creator or Sonic My DVD..there are others out there..just do a Google search.

You may want to go to www.videohelp.com for much more detailed info.

Good luck

Alfer

3. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Since it sounds like these DVDs are NOT copy protected, you should be able to copy the *.VOB files onto your hard drive. The VideoHelp site that Alf S. mentioned has tools that can cut and paste MPG and VOB files without decompressing and recompressing them. (Decompressing and recompressing the files will lower the quality of the video.)

4. Paul_Nyman

Paul_Nyman Second Unit

Alf and Jeff,

Thanks for the reply!

No these are not copy protected DVD's they were done by some transfer service by a relative.

Would you know if the software is free stuff or do I get some logo placed on the video? My brother has Nero, but I wasn't aware if you could edit video with it.

I was hoping to do this for little if any expense since I just want to edit the material done and save reburn it for another project.

I'll look at a few packages out there and visit videohelp as you mentioned. If you know or anyone knows of anything else please post it suggestions.

Thank you again!

5. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

How about VirtualDub ?

I am not positive it will work, but the price is right.

Worth a try...

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Since VirtualDub is open source software, there are modified versions out there. One version adds MPEG-2 capability. A google search should point the way.