Editing help needed DCR-PC101

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Father John A, Feb 18, 2003.

1. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,

I just bought the Sony DCR-PC101 MiniDV cam. I hane not used it yet but am already wondering the best method for editing. I have flipped through the manual and it seems to say that I can upload my videos via USB but I presume that will be very slow. It also has a firewire option. Has anyone her tried either of those methods?

Also, Windows Movie Maker has been recommended to me, I think mainly because it is free. Does anyone here have experience with that? Any other suggestions?

Thanks.
    Fr. John

2. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

Hello,

I, as well, just purchased the DCR-PC101 and love it. I would recommend buy a memory stick reader instead of using the camera to upload. The Sony software is not the best and it is much faster to use the reader. I bought a lexar reader from Target for $12.50. It is USB and took all of 5 seconds to get going. I also used the Windows movie maker to edit a small sample film. It is very easy to use, but I did not get that involved with it. I just took the video and edited what I wanted out of it, saved it and e-mailed away. Let me know what else you find out about the camera and I will do the same.

Marc

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

If ur transfering photos from the memory stick, a reader would be ideal but the USB connect should be fine. As for transfering video, get a firewire card and cable as this is the fastest way to do this.
    I have a TRV 27 and am transfering video thru a firewire cable into the firewire port of a SB Audigy. I've tried WMM2 and frankly it would suffice for home videos. I on the other hand have Adobe Premiere 6.0...

4. marc

marc Stunt Coordinator

How is the Adobe to use? I was thinking about getting it.

5. Shawn Keeler

Shawn Keeler Stunt Coordinator

I am with Eric on this one. If you can get your hands on a copy of Adobe Premiere 6.0 or 6.5 you will be in good hands. it is a great editing program. From something simple to a full length film.

6. Father John A

Father John A Stunt Coordinator

OK, I think I can get the Adobe product.

I also know that the firewire is much faster than USB, BUTI still am not sure if the video CAN be uploaded via USB? I would like to try it until I can put in a firewire card (I am looking at firewire/USB2 combo cards).

Also, how much HD do I need to edit a one hour video? I have a 40 GIG drive with about 27 free. I am considering getting a USB 2 external drive instead of installing a new drive.

What do you all think?