Edited episode on Simpsons Treehouse of Horror!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Scott_J, Nov 1, 2003.

1. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

I just watched Treehouse of Horror VII today on the Treehouse of Horror disc. The opening sequence seemed to be edited in a very unusual way. It had the very beginning, with Homer's hand getting burned, then it jumped to Death on the coach, with the family running in (the couch gag, I assume), then a cut to the TV with only the credit "Created by Rat Groening," followed by the "Developed by" credit. The episode has a time code of 22:47, and the first chapter (the opening) :26. There's absolutely no mention of "Simpsons Halloween Special VII" on the screen as with the other episodes. Is this the syndicated cut of the opening, or is that how it originally aired because the episode was long? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

And the time code on my player doesn't skip at all, so it's a player issue, I don't believe.

2. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I just watched this the other night, so I was intrigued by this post. I didn't recall noticing any such problem.

Having the disc still handy, I just popped it in and ran VII.

Yes, it's exactly the way you described.

I have nothing to compare it to, so I couldn't tell you if it was made/originally broadcast that way, or if it is somehow different on the DVD. TVTome's entry on the episode mentions quite a number of trivia bits about that episode, but makes no mention of such a cut to the credits.

Weird. Not important in the end, but weird.

3. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

I don't think there is anything fishy about this. I don't have photographic memory, but I seem to remember this opening when it broadcast originally and it was pretty short. I just assumed the actual episodes were long, so they couldn't afford to make a long opening, no biggie.

4. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Didn't they say in the Season 3 commentary that there were two Treehouse episodes that they didn't do the crazy credits for?

Yeah, I'm guessing this was the reason.

5. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Hey guys, this topic caught my attention so I went to check out my copy (yes, I have EVERY episode on VCD that I recorded myself). This was recorded about 2 years ago ...

[​IMG]

If you guys have any other Simpsons episode questions, I'm your man! [​IMG]

6. Darren Haycock

Darren Haycock Second Unit

And Scott, you say that there's no mention of the "Simpsons Halloween Special VII" title? Boy, that's weird...

7. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Thanks for the help, guys - especially for the screen cap, Jeremy. Don't know why I didn't think to do this yesterday, but I just went to THE definintive Simpsons Web site, www.snpp.com, to check out their description of the episode's opening. Here is what they have:

8. Scott_J

Scott_J Cinematographer

Also, out of curiosity, could anyone with a R2/4 copy of the disc check the episode to see if it's the same way in other regions, too? Thanks.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    On the bright side, there should be plenty of time to fix this before it comes out as part of a season set. [​IMG]

10. JulianK

JulianK Supporting Actor

Curiouser and curiouser...

I've checked the UK DVD.

The episode starts (with the close-up of the pumpkin), and then we get the rest of the scene with Homer setting himself on fire, and running backwards and forwards, screaming, but there's no title superimposed over this shot (as shown in Jeremy's screen shot).

After this sequence, we get the couch gag, and then straight into the title card for the first segment.

Here's a grab from the UK DVD:

[​IMG]