Edited and altered films on DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Hank E, Sep 9, 2004.

1. Hank E

Hank E Stunt Coordinator

The TV section has a great thread about shows that have been released in edited versions on DVD (edited scenes, changed music, etc). I would like to know what movies have suffered "changes" when released on DVD.

Just to get the list started:
    "The Electric Horseman" - the edition currently available from Universal has different music: all of the Willie Nelson songs have been replaced. The older version from Image did have the original music.

Also, I just read the new SE edition of "Mask" has had music changed.

2. Ben_@

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Fantasia is one that still bothers me. Though it includes the full length intros to each piece, they replaced Deems Taylor's voice. The voice that is dubbed in- while synced very well- sounds nothing like his. I love this movie, but this dubbeed voice bugs me!

I understand why they did it (original elements for some segments did not exist), but it was still altered from its original theatrical release.

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

American Graffiti- Opening shot with new CGI; entire print from 1978 re-release featuring additional scenes and altered end credits.

Jaws-Altered Soundtrack

Close Encounters of the Third Kind- 1998 Director's Cut; some scenes from 1977 are not included in this cut.

J.F.K. and Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves-Most available versions are director's cuts/expanded, not original theatrical.

Pretty Woman- Director's Cut with at least one alternate scene (original scene isn't in this version.)

Wayne's World-altered music

The Muppet Movie-missing opening night scenes

A Star is Born-1983 restored version...missing around 6-7 mins. from premiere version.

Mad Monster Party-missing sound effect before the final fade out.

4. Benjamin Ricci

The theatrical cut of Blues Brothers is not available on DVD (not that I'm complaining, I love the additional footage).

Same goes for Superman: The Movie

Just two to help get the ball rolling, this is going to be a long thread....

5. Greg Black

Greg Black Second Unit

Very minor, but on the widescreen side of the Batman DVD, the scene at the end where Vicki Vale is kissing the Joker's jacket and pulls lint off of her tongue, is changed slightly. I think it shows more kissing and she doesn't pause to remove the lint. The correct theatrical footage is on the pan 'n scan side. :

6. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

The Last of the Mohicans DVD is the director's cut, not the theatrical version.

Blood Simple on DVD is also not the original thearical release either.

7. Charlie O.

Charlie O. Supporting Actor

THX 1138

This new DVD release is called "The George Lucas Director's Cut" and includes new footage added into the film, just as he did with "Star Wars" many of the scenes include enhanced CGI and the film was given a complete restoration.
    If you are still after the original version unfortuantly your only option is to track down the now deleted VHS or Laserdisc releases.

8. Bryan Tuck

Bryan Tuck Screenwriter

Bryan Tuck

What opening night scenes?

To the list, I guess I would add Blade Runner, but Warner is currently trying to correct that. I actually prefer the so-called "Director's Cut," but I hope the studio is able to sort out the frustrating rights issues so they can get all of the versions of this film out eventually.

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

huh, what music was altered in the Wayne's World DVD?

10. Bingo

Bingo Stunt Coordinator

Wayne playing the intro to Stairway to Heaven...on the DVD (and VHS for that matter) he plays something else entirely (nothing that I recognize...I assume it was just a few random notes).

Apparently there was a rights issue with Stairway....which is unfortunate, because the "No Stairway" sign joke makes absolutely no sense now.

11. Skyler

Skyler Stunt Coordinator

ET replaced the policemans pistols with friggin WALKIE TALKIES. LAME.

12. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    The worst one I've encountered was Timerider which has the ending editted badly and loses its comedic punch. I was pissed when I saw it, and now there is no other edition available.

13. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

But the original version is availible.

14. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Revenge Of The Nerds- shots of the "House For Rent" sign are cut because of the phone number on it

Bruce Almighty- theatrical release had an actual phone number on the pager, video replaces it with a 555 number

Valley Girl- Men At Work's "Who Can It Be Now" is replaced with another song (where Nicolas Cage hides in shower)

Make Mine Music- segment cut

Melody Time- altered for political correctness

Saludos Amigos- same (eliminates Goofy smoking a cigarette)

Detroit Rock City- Scene in restroom is edited/cropped(?) to remove a boom mike visible in mirror

Goldeneye- shot reframed to hide a boom mike that drops briefly into frame (when he says "The writing's on the wall")

Star Wars- too much to mention [​IMG]

15. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Star Trek: The Motion Picture - new scenes and a remixed soundtrack

A Hard Day's Night - has yet to be released with its original soundtrack, despite the fact that the restored mono track has aired on AMC [​IMG]

Picnic at Hanging Rock - Director's Cut omits one scene and features remixed soundtrack (not that I'm complaining about this one, but if there are some folks who DO prefer the original version, I sympathize with them)

Lawrence of Arabia & Spartacus - the DVDs (SuperBit LOA and Criterion Spart) contain the wonderful restored versions, but both are still very slightly different than the original theatrical cuts (not meant as a harsh criticism, I LOVE both DVDs)

Vertigo - lovely picture but the remixed soundtrack sounds silly to me (gunshots that sound like CANNONS, too many sound fx during Herrmann's wonderful score, etc.)

Raiders of the Lost Ark - some SFX fixed (so subtle I would never have noticed if they hadn't been pointed out to me)

16. GeorgePaul

GeorgePaul Second Unit

Duel- one minute of dialogue and monologue missing

Star Trek: The Motion Picture- added special effects and scenes not in original theatrical release (the latter also holds true in the sequel, though to a much lesser degree)

ADD Fantasia- the infamous "black centaurette," seen in the film's theatrical releases up to the mid-1960s, is still cropped out of the Pastoral sequence in two separate shots

17. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

CC's Last Temptation of Christ.
    Private parts 'fuzzed out', in Baptism scene.

18. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

Also, I just read the new SE edition of "Mask" has had music changed.

I believe the old image version, just like WEIRD SCIENCE, SIXTEEN CANDLES were same as the vhs, home video versions, and the newer MCA DVD release are the theatrical version.

19. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

Neither Star Trek VI release is the theatrical version.

20. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    What opening night scenes in The Muppet Movie are you talking about? I have seen this film in the theatre, on the first VHS release (Magnetic Video), the Disney VHS version and currently own the DVD, and have discovered no discrepancies. I'm lost as to what scenes you're talking about.