What's new

UHD Review Edge of Tomorrow UHD Review (1 Viewer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
The Tom Cruise Groundhog Day alien invasion film Edge of Tomorrow finally arrives on 4K UHD Blu-ray that outshines the already quite excellent Blu-ray release from 2014.

Edge of Tomorrow (2014)

Released: 06 Jun 2014
Rated: PG-13
Runtime: 113 min

Director: Doug Liman
Genre: Action, Adventure, Sci-Fi

Cast: Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton
Writer(s): Christopher McQuarrie, Jez Butterworth, John-Henry Butterworth

Plot: A soldier fighting aliens gets to relive the same day over and over again, the day restarting every time he dies.

IMDB rating: 7.9
MetaScore: 71

Disc Information

Studio: Warner Brothers
Distributed By: N/A
Video Resolution: 2160p HEVC w/HDR

Aspect Ratio:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks Todd, this has been on my wishlist for a while too. Glad to hear it’s an upgrade. Haven’t seen it in a while, so looking forward to watching it on UHD when it arrives next week!

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I remember going to the theater to see this movie and I just thought it was so cool, but it was relatively dead. I'm glad more people have discovered it over the years at home.

I'm not 4K equipped right now, so I'm good with my regular Blu-ray. But it's great that this is available in a good edition for people who have the means to use UHD.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Todd! This is a fave of mine and I’m looking forward to watching it in 4K.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I have it in 3D and thought it good not great. I need to have another viewing though -it’s been years.

I like the movie a lot but the 3D presentation is pretty meh.

When I reviewed the 2014 BD, I actually preferred the 2D BD to the 3D.

So I definitely prefer the new 4K. It's not a visual showpiece but it's an upgrade!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

So I definitely prefer the new 4K. It's not a visual showpiece but it's an upgrade!
I remember thinking the 3D was great. Gotta give it another spin.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I have it in 3D and thought it good not great. I need to have another viewing though -it’s been years.

While I have lost my 3D capability, I always thought this was a very good 3D presentation that even had some “in-your-face” moments along with good depth. Aside from the 3D, I think it’s one of the better sci-fi movies out there. It’s fun watching Cruise’s character arc. One of Bill Paxton’s later roles, an actor who is sorely missed.

I love those top ratings for video and sound (atmos!). I will be buying this one.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
There is still some question as to how gimped the bass frequencies are. Yes, the sub damaging sine wave at the opening credits needed to be toned down, and it is on the Atmos track. However, waterfalls show it's pretty neutered throughout below 30 Hz.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Could be TV dependent. I watched "EoT" 3D on my Panny plasma - might be better if I watched on my LG OLED.

All I know is it left me underwhelmed in 2014!

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Could be TV dependent. I watched "EoT" 3D on my Panny plasma - might be better if I watched on my LG OLED.

All I know is it left me underwhelmed in 2014!
You may be on to something, I've only had 3D capability from when I bought my OLED a few years ago and thought this movie was a very good 3D disc. So much so that I've been on the fence about going to 4k.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I will find out for myself on Tuesday when it arrives, but I wonder if that nasty low bass note prior to the movie beginning is still there. I use it as a "subwoofer torture test". :rolling-smiley:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
Blu-ray.com's review says this:

"For those without the benefit of Atmos-capable receivers and speakers, one might assume the 4K's unfolded Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to be a straight port of the Blu-ray's impressive DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio mix. It's not, though: some of the film's infamously rock-bottom LFE frequencies (which actually begin in its opening moments, such as a series of descending tones that likely killed more than a few entry-level subwoofers and soundbars) are now softened, resulting in a track that doesn't dig quite as deep as its predecessor. For those with such equipment, this might actually be a good thing: you'll hear these tones more clearly instead of infrequent rattles... but if you're in the other camp, prepare to be slightly disappointed."

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Blu-ray.com's review says this:

"For those without the benefit of Atmos-capable receivers and speakers, one might assume the 4K's unfolded Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track to be a straight port of the Blu-ray's impressive DTS-HD 7.1 Master Audio mix. It's not, though: some of the film's infamously rock-bottom LFE frequencies (which actually begin in its opening moments, such as a series of descending tones that likely killed more than a few entry-level subwoofers and soundbars) are now softened, resulting in a track that doesn't dig quite as deep as its predecessor. For those with such equipment, this might actually be a good thing: you'll hear these tones more clearly instead of infrequent rattles... but if you're in the other camp, prepare to be slightly disappointed."
I will get the definitive answer before the day is over (as it's scheduled to be delivered today from Amazon) but that I found that comment from br.com to be a little confusing. Are they saying that the DD TrueHD 7.1 is the only track with less deep bass than the DTS-HD MA mix from the last release?

They begin by stating a caveat: "For those [without] Atmos capable receivers..." so are we to assume that the Atmos mix has the same/similar bass as the previous DTS-HD MA mix? And if so, I find it odd for bass levels to be mixed differently for two Dolby tracks on the same disc, one for Atmos and one for TrueHD.

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
It is confusing and I just assumed that the Atmos track also had the subdued bass. Please let us know what you find out. My 4K hasn't shipped yet.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don’t have the old one to compare it to but the Atmos opening is fantastic and it doesn’t let up from there. Watched the whole thing with a smile on my face. Now I really want/need an Aliens Atmos upgrade.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I only have the digital hd with the Atmos track but that opening bit with the low subwoofer torture test was there as far as I’m concerned.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The neutered soundtrack will be a big negative for subwoofer reviewers and basshead home theater enthusiasts who repeatedly play the opening's subsonic moments as a demo.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
My initial findings. I did not dig out my original BD as, full disclosure, I'm not sure where it is. I used the BD included with the 4K disc which has the DTS-HD track which I will work under the belief is the same as the original BD. If this ends up not being the case, I apologize,

Equipment
  • 2022 BD (could be the same as the original BD) played on Oppo BD-103D
  • 2022 4K UHD played on Panasonic DP-UB820
  • Both connected to Denon AVR-4500h (Atmos capable) AVR to Outlaw 7000 7ch power amplifier
    • Definitive Technology D17 L/R, D5c center, D9 LS/RS, SVS Prime Pinnacle front height channels
    • Hsu Research VTF-3 Mk5 HP subwoofer
    • All connections via 48Gbps HDMI cable
    • Receiver settings identical between both inputs
    • Neither Oppo nor Panasonic have any "sweetening" done at their settings level, running flat signals thru HDMI to AVR
I kept the Denon at the same volume setting. I did not do scientific level matching, but I can say that switching back and forth the volumes of dialogue/normal sequences seemed to be very close. If it's not exact, it's within a decibel.

I can 100% confirm that it's a different mix, even with the Atmos track. How can I say that? When you spin up the opening, which has the infamous "subwoofer killer" sweep, one thing to pay attention to is the "static" sound (similar to old school tube TVs switching channels, or maybe a radio dial switching stations). On the Atmos track those static sounds come primarily from the front channels. On the DTS-HD track, my rear surrounds have quite a bit more of that static which results in it sounding like it's coming from everywhere in the room. If they were the same mix, the rear surrounds would be more active on that static sound on the Atmos mix, so it wouldn't sound anchored to the front.

With regards to the "subwoofer killer" tone sweep. It is definitely different. It doesn't sound significantly louder on the DTS track (though I'd have to say if I had to swear, it may be a decibel louder). But it's definitely a different frequency (I'd have to surmise the DTS track is deeper).

Why do I say that? Because I observed a repeatable phenomenon (I played that sequence 4 times on each track). Every single time, despite sounding pretty close to same in loudness, the DTS track on 2 frequencies of the sweep rattled different parts of my home. One was I believe dishes in the adjoining kitchen, the other I think was coming from the hallway.

The Atmos sweep never rattled anything. Even when I increased the volume +5db on the Denon, the overall volume and bass got louder, but the dishes and hallway (I think they may have been picture frames) never rattled. If it was simply a case of "Atmos is -5dB softer*, turning it up would have rattled the same parts of my home that the DTS track did. But it never did, even when turned up +5dB. And it should be noted, even at that louder volume, the static sound still remained front-anchored, rather than all-enveloping due to a louder mix of that sound in the rear channels like we have in the DTS-HD mix.

I'm sure others who have time and equipment can do more deep-digging and do frequency sweeps to confirm (or refute) what I observed. But everything I wrote above was repeatable switching back and forth between the current 2022 BD and 4K UHD.

I take the consistent dish-rattling on the DTS track while being absent on the Atmos track (even when turned up +5dB) and the front-anchored vs. full-surround sound of the static TV/radio switching sound to be definitive proof that the mixes are different.

Now let me be clear: at no point if I only watched the Atmos mix would I call it neutered. That to me connotes that the bass is lacking. It's definitely different than the DTS-HD track (as evidenced by not rattling my dishes) but in and of itself, the Atmos bass sweep still a subwoofer strainer. And honestly who knows which one is "correct". I didn't create the mix so I don't know if the Atmos mix was dialed down or the DTS mix was amped up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks